cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my computer to recognize the canon eos digital rebel

Ronx
Contributor

I have not used this camera for more than 2 years.  I now have a laptop with windows 7.  This computer will not recognize this camera when I plug it in to usb to download pictures.  I have tried everything except what is going to work.

29 REPLIES 29

Skirball
Authority

Do you happen to have the original discs?  Or, was EOS utility previously installed on that computer?  If not, you need to do a bit of shinanigans to get around Canon's protection (which I still don't understand, either you own a Canon, or the software is no use to you).  It's not hard, but you have to rewrite a registry file to make the software think it was previously loaded on your computer.

Go here (providing you're in the US) to download EOS utility:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

It's an "updater".  So again, you need to have had a previous version on your computer or it won't install.   Once it installs all you do is plug in your camera and turn it on and a window pops up offering a couple different options like File Transfer or Tethered Shooting.

I do have the original disc.  I have installed it, uninstalled it, reinstalled, then I tried to install over the last install.  Nothing worked.

I noticed when I went to Win 7 that windows recognized my cameras in a special window with multiple apps to associate the new USB device (my camera) with. One of those apps was the EOS utility. I get a similar prompt with my Powershots. Before on XP, EOS utility opened up directly. Now that you are on Win7, are you getting any reaction at all from windows when you power on your camera? Can you manually launch EOS utility and connect to your camera? Is your camera in playback mode?

Just saw your last post (while I was typing), just go to a newer Rebel and download the software from there. I'm guessing it will still work if it allows the update to install.

Good thought.  I'll try that.

If you click on the USB icon (usb plug with a green check next to it) on the task bar can you see the camera?  How about in My Computer?

That's just it.  Any port I use to plug the camera into does not show up on my computer.  It is like I am pluging a cord into my compter with nothing attached to the end of it.  

I have had two  canon rebels.  With your camera in the off position, plug the  USB cord into your Canon camera and the other end into the USB port.  Then turn the camera On.  Then on your Desktop double click My Computer, scroll down til you see the Canon icon.  Right click the icon and it will bring up a small drop down window.  Last step is to Left click and select "Import pictures and Videos".  Then you can Tag by typing in for example THANKSGIVING or any occassion.   I always type in a date the pictures were taken.  Then click Enter on your Keyboard.  Will then start downloading your pictures.  The pictures will end up in the Picture folder. I have Windows 7 and it works every time. 

Hello everybody

Sorry to bother you with this, I can see you already spent quite some time on people like me.

I've been having the same problem with my Canon MD150 MiniDV recorder. I haven't connected it to my computer for about 3 years, and now my computer (windows 7) doesn't recognize the camera anymore, and my laptop neither (windows 7 as well). Last time I used it, it worked on my computer, but that's 3 years ago.

I can't find the original CD to install the pilote, so I've downloaded a pilot that should work (?).

I'm using the USB cable to connect the camera and the computer/laptop, not the CV-150F or CV-250F. I have Moviemaker and Premiere on my computer and laptop.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

Soren

Announcements