cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! canon eos 700D shutter goes unwillingly

Alex_spiv
Apprentice

Hi everybody,

This morning my camera started to behave strangly.

Each time i turn it on the shutter clicks and a photo is taken without me pressing the shoot button.

Immediately afterwards the camera freezes and practicaly not reacting to anything.

i looked and the shutter moves fine.

i tried to reset but had no luck there.

I will really appriate any advice or thought about this condition.

Thank you all

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Alex_spiv wrote:

Hi everybody,

This morning my camera started to behave strangly.

Each time i turn it on the shutter clicks and a photo is taken without me pressing the shoot button.

Immediately afterwards the camera freezes and practicaly not reacting to anything.

i looked and the shutter moves fine.

i tried to reset but had no luck there.

I will really appriate any advice or thought about this condition.

Thank you all

Try removing the memory card, switching to P mode, and then resetting the camera back to factory defaults. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

tried that, didnt change a thing 😞

Do you have a battery grip installed?

If that happens with a "bare" camera following reset all camera and custom settings set to Green Square Auto I would say you have a failed camera. Given the age of the camera you need to balance cost of repair against a replacement newer camera. 

Is there a reliable third party repair center where you live?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"tried that, didnt change a thing :-("

Last effort! Do make sure you don't have any off brand attachments on the T5i.  Not even an off brand lens. Make sure you have a fully charged Canon battery. <--- very important   Make sure you have a brand new SD card and make sure it is a known name brand not some Walmart/Dollar General store brand.

Do the reset once more. Menus, tools, clear all settings and Clear all custom settings.

Put the Rebel in P mode.  ISO 200. One shot. Daylight WB. Mount a Canon lens and try to take some shots outdoors on a nice day. If it works, it works.  If it didin't it is faulty and not a good candidate for repair even at a shop that may still service Rebel T5i. The used value of a fully functioning T5i isn't very much, less than $200 bucks, guessing, so this limits the service cost. BTW, don't even think FW upgrade.

Makes a new T8i pretty tempting, doesn't it?  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Alex_spiv
Apprentice
Thank you for the answer!
I tried following your guidance and first shot was good but the second and on it didn't work.
I figured out that the camera goes nuts only when I use the shutter button.
When i use the LCD screen to take photos it works excellent.

If you followed the instructions exactly, I am afraid the camera is faulty. But it seems to be able to work in a particular way so just keep doing that if you don't want to buy another camera. It will not fix itself but who knows how long it will work like that?

Could be as simple as a shutter button failure or a more serious PCB failure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Alex_spiv
Apprentice
So I guess I will use the LCD screen until it dies cometely
Announcements