cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the time to a 12 hour clock on a EOS 70D camera ?

Carole10
Contributor

I just got an EOS 70D Camera & would prefer a 12 hour am - pm time, but it seems I can only set the time on a 24 hour clock .  I personally don' like the 24 hour time, and would like to change that setting, but can find a way to do so. Can anyone help with this.

Thanks, Carole

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can't. Time stamps are based on UTC. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the info. I wish Canon would give us the option of choosing the time format we prefer. Now I have to subtract 12 from times starting at 13 to figure out the time. From a positive point of view, I guess it's a form of mental exercise.

Anyone smart enough to operate a 70D should have no trouble memorizing the "meanings" of the hours between 13 and 24 in fifteen minutes or less.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I see Bob that you are a pretty rude individual.  Having mastered Octal, Hexidecimal, & Binary number systems I have no trouble comprehending a 24 hour clock.  It is just not my preference.  And a very expensive item like the D70 should give one the option.  It is pure prejudice on Canon's  part not to do so.  My smart phone & ipad have that option as well as The Galaxy Camera ( not the one in the smartphone) so why shouldn't the Canon D70 ?

@Carole10 wrote:

I see Bob that you are a pretty rude individual.  Having mastered Octal, Hexidecimal, & Binary number systems I have no trouble comprehending a 24 hour clock.  It is just not my preference.  And a very expensive item like the D70 should give one the option.  It is pure prejudice on Canon's  part not to do so.  My smart phone & ipad have that option as well as The Galaxy Camera ( not the one in the smartphone) so why shouldn't the Canon D70 ?

I'm not rude, just sarcastic. And thank you for conceding the truth of my assertion - that you are indeed fully capable of understanding, and adapting to, the 24-hour system.

That said, I'm no more able than you are to fathom Canon's callous indifference to your personal preferences. And no doubt the fact that other users don't seem to care only heightens your sense of entitlement. But keep fighting the good fight; maybe you'll get lucky and they'll decide to see it your way.

Meanwhile, have you tried Magic Lantern? Maybe they have a 12-hour option.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The camera tags the UTC date & time into the meta-data stored within the image.  It is not intended for 'display' purposes.  Note that nowhere in the LCD information panels does the camera even both to show the time once it's set (the only place you can find it is on the menu used to set it.)  That's because it's really *just* intended to add "information" to the image data.

Once the image is tagged with the time, it's really up to your computer software to decide how to display the time.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The camera tags the UTC date & time into the meta-data stored within the image.  It is not intended for 'display' purposes.  Note that nowhere in the LCD information panels does the camera even both to show the time once it's set (the only place you can find it is on the menu used to set it.)  That's because it's really *just* intended to add "information" to the image data.

Once the image is tagged with the time, it's really up to your computer software to decide how to display the time.

Correct!  This is hard to explain if you are not familiar with computer programming.

The time/date stamp is really a raw metadata type.  {Yeah, I know just misspoke.]  How that raw data is displayed on your computer is entirely up to the Time/Date format settings in your computer.

Your computer's Time/Date format settings can display the dates and times in a variety of formats.  What is actually occuring is that the computer software is reading the raw data type, and formatting it for human consumption.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera merely records the time (in UTC) and adds it to the information stored with the photo.

When you import those images to your computer... how the time is displayed is entirely up to that computer software.

What are you using to view your photos?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Carole10
Contributor
Hi TCampbell,
Thanks for your explanation. Since my other camera enabled devices, smartphone, tablet , Galaxy camera & underwater camera all display the time on the picture screen, I assumed the D70 would also do so. I just got the D70 as a holiday present a week ago, and am trying to get familiar with it .
Since I've been super busy preparing for a long vacation abroad , I haven't had much ti work with this new camera. But I do have a 9 hour plane ride, plenty of time to explore the What & How of the D70 .
Again , thanks for the explanation.
Carole
Announcements