cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlight Alerts on Canon R6 Mark II

pjtmac3
Apprentice

I can show blinks (highlight alerts) after I've taken images. Can I set up the camera to do it prior to releasing the shutter?  If so, how do I do it. Just bought the camera and I can't find it. I would be shocked as sh__ if the camera couldn't show these alerts when photographers actually need to see them.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon Forums.

Showing exposure in thet manner is a feature frequently found on true cinema cameras.  I am afraid the R6 Mark II is not a true cinema camera.  It is not able to display “blinkies” prior to capturing a still shot.  

However, the R6 Mark II is able to display a histogram prior to taking a shot.  

I think that I would find a blinking in the viewfinder to be very distracting while I was capturing stills.  It is something that would be most useful on a monitor display, not inside a viewfinder, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

pjtmac3
Apprentice

If you photograph a lot of white birds, the feature is very useful. Any decent mirrorless wildlife camera has the feature.

@pjtmac3 wrote:

If you photograph a lot of white birds, the feature is very useful. Any decent mirrorless wildlife camera has the feature.

Not to sound snarky, but go buy yourself a “decent mirrorless camera”, if that is how you feel about it.  I am not here to argue about it.  Go for it.  Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

pjtmac3
Apprentice

I thought that's what I had bought.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi pjtmac3,

In photo mode the EOS R6 Mark II is only able to show the Highlight Alerts on photos you already took. There is not a way to have the Highlight Alert show while you are preparing to take the shot.

In video mode the EOS R6 Mark II can show that alert. In video mode that function is called Zebra. When the camera is in P, Tv, Av, or M video mode you would go to the seventh page under the red camera icon and the Zebra options will be listed. That function will show highlights that are over exposed while you are in video mode, but once you switch back to photo mode the alert will go away.

pjtmac3
Apprentice

Thanks Hazel. Don't know why Canon decided that getting overblown highlights is okay for photos but not videos? Don't you think it is up to the photographer to decide that. Give us the tools and we will decide how to use them to be creative. Nikon, Sony, Fuji have this feature and so should Canon.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements