cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me with new Canon RP camera

Lisaw4424
Apprentice

I've been using a Canon T6i with a Tamron 18-400 mm lens.  I've always wanted a full-frame camera as an upgrade. So I just bought a Canon RP mirrorless with an RF 24-240 lens. However, I'm not sure I really like the Canon RP. It's so different than my T6i and I'm finding it a bit confusing to use. I've been taking pictures the past two days with the new RP camera and I'm not seeing a big difference over my T6i, although I know the RP is a better camera. 

Now I'm torn. I'm just an amateur photographer who likes to take pictures of nature, animals and my family. Did I make the wrong choice? Help!

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum:

I'm sorry you are having a tough time making the adaptation.  Let me assure you that there is always a bedding in with any new camera.  I have been a wildlife shooter for over 40 years, and I still have to take time to get used to any new camera.  The R-series are very different from your old DSLR, so some disorientation is to be expected and you can't expect to work at the same level after only a few days.

First, the Lens:
Let me assure you that your RF 24-240 lens is an excellent unit. 
I use it with the high-end R5 (45MP) and that will test any lens. This lens does an excellent job.

The Camera:
Have you taken the opportunity to work with the manual, or to watch some videos on how to best set up and use the RP
This camera, like all DSLRs and MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras) needs to be configured to your style of shooting and needs.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

In case you have not watched any orientation videos, why not start with this one:

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you. This was very helpful. I'll keep working with the camera to get more comfortable with it.

I've also never shot in RAW, only Jpeg and only edit with Adobe photoshop, not Lightroom. It seems kind of daunting to me. I'll just keep at my photography. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

" I'm not seeing a big difference over my T6i, although I know the RP is a better camera"

"better' is a comparative term, and it is only relevant if the specific parameters being compared are identified.

What are your shooting subjects and how are you viewing them?

I have a Canon flagship 1D X Mark III, but if I take a picture of the fall colors in my back yard and post it on Facebook it's no better looking than an iPhone shot. 

However, take a picture of a field hockey game and print it at 13x19 then there is a difference.

There may be some user familiarity issues involved, but any Canon camera nowadays that has a Green Square Auto+ settings is capable of excellent photos out of the box. It is very likely that you won't see a difference for many shooting situations.

Screenshot 2022-10-23 160857.jpg

When you reach a shooting situation that exceeds the capability of your T6i, the RP will still be capable.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the advice. I used the camera more today and watched the above video. I'll keep at it with the RP.

That is great news Lisa!  😄 I am glad you tried the video and hope it will help you, and I think with perseverance you will master the upgrade . 

If you ever want to ask questions feel free to PM me at the site.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements