cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. I have my Canon Rebel set to raw but when I download to elements 11 it shows as JPEG.

chetty
Apprentice

Ia my Elements set wrong or could I have some other camera setting set wrong.  I shoot using only AV..

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

How are you getting files to your computer, through a cable, card reader, or putting the card directly into the computer? If going through the card, can you see the RAW files on the card when looking at them through a directory explorer?

How are you opening the files in Elements, directly in Elements?  Are they raw files when you see them in the directory?   And does it open Adobe Camera Raw, within Elements?

ScottyP
Authority
I use Lightroom, but I know there are a lot of settings on how the program imports files. I NEVER use the automated import popup windows, because i like to control where stuff goes an wha gets done to stuff in a simple way I first create a file folder on a hard drive to take the download, and then I plug the SD card into the card reader on my computer and from "MY COMPUTER" I drag and drop the image files from the card to the folder. When it is done I manually go into Lightroom and Import the files in the folder to Lightroom.
There are a lot of things you could have Lightroom set to do automatically, including (I think) converting them all automatically to Jpg, possibly by accident, especially if you are using a "helpful" popup prompt asking how (and with what program) you want to import photos. If you are unknowingly using some Microsoft program to open or import the images it could be doing something weird too?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

hsbn
Whiz

When you look at your photo in explorer, do you see *.cr2 extension or *.jpg? Just thinking, but RAW file once processed you'll have to save it as JPG or TIFF or other image format but it is no longer RAW.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Depending on whether or not you've actually set your camera up correctly to shoot in RAW I don't know of any program that would import the RAW CR2's and then convert them to jpg's PLUS delete the original CR2.Either you are importing incorrectly, not shooting in RAW to begin with or the files are on your computer but you aren't finding them. Do a hard drive search for the files by searching for *.cr2

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have every version of PSE except 11 and 12 (some differences may apply from 10 up) but this is one thing that must happen. If you have a RAW file, it must go through ACR. If you are not seeing this than you are not importing RAW files. The most current version of ACR is 8.2. But it may not be compatible with older versions of PSE. Especially back beyond 11 or 12.

So something else is a foul.

Do you see ACR when you open your photos? Which Rebel do you have? Older versions may not support your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements