cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSS banding issue with M5 + Godox TT600

fliptight
Apprentice
Has anyone experienced and solved this issue?

I have the TT600 paired with the X1T-C transmitter (not that it matters, but both Flashpoint rebranded) and I am getting banding issues when trying to use High Speed Sync.

Both the M5 and the X1T-C have the latest firmware.

I've read threads with Sony users having the same problem but their workaround was to turn off Electronic First Curtain Shutter. I'm almost sure the M5 doesn't have any settings like that.
5 REPLIES 5

@fliptight wrote:
Has anyone experienced and solved this issue?

I have the TT600 paired with the X1T-C transmitter (not that it matters, but both Flashpoint rebranded) and I am getting banding issues when trying to use High Speed Sync.

Both the M5 and the X1T-C have the latest firmware.

I've read threads with Sony users having the same problem but their workaround was to turn off Electronic First Curtain Shutter. I'm almost sure the M5 doesn't have any settings like that.

HSS is exquisitely dependent on the predictability of the flashing light source. Any flicker in the ambient light (and that could be due to almost any ambient light source powered by alternating current) could conceivably cause the effect you observe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

fliptight
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. I was shooting outdoor during the day with no other lights around besides the sun and the flash in high speed sync.

I've read the banding is probably due to the 3rd party flash pulsing (in HSS) in a slightly different frequency than the sensor's scanning frequency. I was hoping someone else had to run into this problem to see if they found a solution for it.

You are using Canon which is a subset of all photography users

You are using an M5 which is a subset of Canon users

You are using a third party flash which is a subset of M5 users

You are using third party triggers which are a subset of third party falsh users

You are using HSS which is another subset of users

You are using this forum which is another subset of users.

Chances are pretty small that someone else would be experiencing this or even have the equipment to try. It was worth a chance, though.

Yes, I did think it was worth a shot given the popularity of Godox strobes and HSS for portraiture lately. I am thinking this issue is not specific to the exact flash I'm using but all Godox strobes and the M5 (possibly the M series).

I've also posted to multiple forums. So far this is the only forum so far where people have at least tried to reply! so I'm crossing my fingers over here 🙂

I guess I had my hopes up too soon.

If anyone cares, I strongly believe it's due to the fact that pretty much most mirrorless uses an electronic front curtain shutter (EFCS) which doesn't play well with Godox HSS. The only difference is some cameras allow you to disable it like Sony bodies, but the M5 is not one of them 😞

Announcements