cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP-E2 and Rebel T7/1500D Connectivity

mmugmon
Contributor

I have a new GP-E2 and it is supplied with two cables, one end fitting on a proprietary-appearing plug on the unit itself and the other end being a mini USB plug which can go to the camera or the computer.  Fortunately I have a converter to the mini USB plug to make it a USB A and can connect it physically to my computer.  

I have the GPS Log File Utility and the GPS is not recognized by my computer.  I've tried it with my MacBook Air and with a PC running W12.  The program keeps telling me that I have no GPS unit connected, with both computers.  This happens with the short and the long cable which came with the unit.  There is a new battery in the GPS and I've tried different USB ports, which work for other functions.

I also note that with the cable, the GPS does not connect with my Canon Rebel EOS t7.  It doesn't work with the hot shoe, but I knew that the Rebel T7 didn't support the hot shoe connection.  But, it does not work even with the supplied cable.  According to the Rebel EOS 1500D manual, the GP-E2 is supposed to work with that camera.

I was hoping that perhaps the GP-E2 needed a firmware update, but I can't connect it to the computer for an update, for the reasons noted above.  

The lights on the GPS work correctly and I assume that the GPS is tracking.  

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Marc Mugmon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Canon replied and it turns out disabling WiFi solved the problem.  I hated to ask the question on the forum, but nowhere in my searching had I found that requirement, especially in the manual.

Now the menu is highlighted and working.  As I knew, the hot shoe does not connect the GPS to my T7, but the supplied cable works perfectly.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

Marc

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest that you call Canon. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

According to the camera User Guide, the GPS should sit on the hot shoe, but needs to be connected to the camera using the supplied cable.  This may cause the GPS data to be written to EXIF data when photos are taken.  I dunno.

As far as connecting to PC goes, refer to the GPS manual.  It probably explains why you should have two cables included with the unit.  If in doubt, contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The manual for the GPS doesn't clearly state this, but the cable that is used to connect the camera to the computer is the same cable to use when downloading the log data from the GPS unit. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John,

Thanks for the reply.

There are two cables supplied, one 25 cm and the other 1.5 m.  They are identical except for the length.  One end fits only on the GPS and has WFT labled on it.  The GPS will accept that cable as well as a standard mini USB male connector.  The camera will accept only the mini USB male connector, so the cable can be connected to the camera oriented one way only.  

Attaching the GPS to the computer requires a USB adapter ( A or C ) and when I connect to the computer using either supplied cable, the GPS is not recognized by the computer.  Also, the GPS is not recognized by the camera with either cable, attached to the hot shoe or not.

I did discover that if I use a standard mini USB connection from the GPS (remember, that plug accepts the standard as well as the proprietary Canon cable) and connect to the computer, then the computer sees the GPS - I was able to check that the firmware is up to date, and there was full connectivity with that cable.

So, now I'm waiting for a new cable to be delivered - a minu USB - Mini USB male on both ends - to arrive from Amazon.  I'm hoping that will do the trick.

The proprietary connection on the GPS end definitely is the issue.  

I'll report if this new cable works. 

I should have sprung for a camera with GPS already installed, but when I got the T7 I didn't think I'd need or want it!

Thanks again.

Marc

"I did discover that if I use a standard mini USB connection from the GPS (remember, that plug accepts the standard as well as the proprietary Canon cable) and connect to the computer, then the computer sees the GPS - I was able to check that the firmware is up to date, and there was full connectivity with that cable."

Yes, that is what I stated above. The cables supplied with the GPS are only for connecting to the camera.

Did you enable GPS in yellow menu 2?

Screenshot 2021-06-24 090556.jpg

I am not sure why you need to buy another cable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The GPS device settings icon/menu, while present, is not highlighted and therefore does not turn on.  It is only enabled when the GP-E2 is attached.  Since the camera does not recognize the GPS even when it is turned on and presumably working, it can't be enabled.  Hence the need for a standard USB mini connector for the GPS end.  If my new cable works, then I would be surprised that Canon didn't include the standard in addition one with the proprietary WFT connector/cable.

I suspect the new cable will work since the USB mini connection was the only way the GP-E2 would connect with the computer.  

Marc

Or you have to be in one of the "creative" modes for the menu item to show up, i.e., PAvTv or M.

@mmugmon wrote:

The GPS device settings icon/menu, while present, is not highlighted and therefore does not turn on.  It is only enabled when the GP-E2 is attached.  Since the camera does not recognize the GPS even when it is turned on and presumably working, it can't be enabled.  Hence the need for a standard USB mini connector for the GPS end.  If my new cable works, then I would be surprised that Canon didn't include the standard in addition one with the proprietary WFT connector/cable.

I suspect the new cable will work since the USB mini connection was the only way the GP-E2 would connect with the computer.  

Marc

If the menu item becomes active when the GPS is attached, then that is a good thing.  If powering up the GPS before you turn on the camera does not "fix" the issue, then you should contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks.  With the supplied cable, powering up the GPS before turning on the camera did not fix the problem.  I have an email in to Canon support.  If the mini USB to mini USB cable that is to arrive tomorrow doesn't fix it, I'll call Canon as well.  If replacing the cable does work, they should be made aware of tthe fact that their supplied cable doesn't work.

Marc

Announcements