cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focusing Screen Optimized for Fast Manual Focus Lenses on 5D4

WookiesDad
Contributor

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has had experience using manual focus lenses with aperture wider than f/2.8 on the 5D4.

I often hear that focusing screens on DSLRs cannot show the actual difference in depth of field at very wide apertures between, say, f/1.4 and f/2.8.

Indeed, my experience over several decades with fast MF lenses on FILM SLRs has been very good in terms of nailing focus and determining true d-o-f.

However, I'm just now on the learning curve of using a newly acquired Zeiss Milvus 135 f/2 lens on my 5D4 and, especially when shooting wide open at f/2 at such a long focal length, depth of field is, of course, super critical. To be certain nothing gets fooled in the camera's AF, I'm using only the centermost sensor, positioning it over the critical element of a composition, etc...

I know Canon made a precision focusing screen for the 5D Mk II, but apparently they haven't gotten around to it for the 5D4 - or else there's no perceived need for such.

I'm not having all that much difficulty with the camera confirming focus - just wondering if there is a better focusing screen out there in terms of resolving ACTUAL DEPTH OF FIELD at f/2 on this lens.

Thanks for any input

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

A website called focusingscreen-dot-com seems to have custom screems for the 5D Mark IV.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, John.

Now if someone with first-hand experience could advise - is the 5D4 focusing screen even replaceable? That seems to be the issue.

@WookiesDad wrote:

Thank you, John.

Now if someone with first-hand experience could advise - is the 5D4 focusing screen even replaceable? That seems to be the issue.

I think the answer is clearly not user replaceable.  There is no focusing screen setting in the menus and the specifications list the focusing screen as "Fixed".E32D2749-C8A6-4454-947D-0F48056CD15F.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, John. I should have caught that in the manual, but thanks for taking the time to copy and highlight.

It remains puzzling that the company in Taiwan - the website you referenced - has an entire page devoted to screens for the 5D4 ????

Cheers,

Steve

@WookiesDad wrote:

Thank you, John. I should have caught that in the manual, but thanks for taking the time to copy and highlight.

It remains puzzling that the company in Taiwan - the website you referenced - has an entire page devoted to screens for the 5D4 ????

Cheers,

Steve

I cannot speak for the web site.  But, the screen is "not user replaceable", which in my book means no disassembly should be required.  But, that does not means someone who is so inclined cannot attempt to do it themselves.  There are YouTube videos out there showing you how to change screens in other fixed cameras.  

I am a bit surprised that it is not user replaceable.  Seems like a step backwards, and perhaps another good reason for me to not to have bought a 5D4.  I picked up a 6D2, mainly for the Bluetooth.  It was the only Canon full frame with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@WookiesDad wrote:

Cheers,

Steve

The above answers (other than the second) aren't mine Steve.  I agree that if the company is making the replacement screens it can be done, just with more difficulty than the earlier 5D versions when it just dropped down with a small latch.

(3) Canon EOS 5D MK4 How to change the focusing screen - YouTube

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements