cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus pulsing issue with canon eos r10

Ilias_laz
Contributor

Hello, I was using an old canon eos 50d with a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 ex dc os hsm, and both worked great (this lens is especially sharp). Recently I decided to invest in mirrorless system as I had read that with ef to rf adapter my ef lenses would work great. Unfortunatelly when I am using this lens with r10 I get a massive pulsing issue when I am focusing with servo mode. I am very dissapointed because there was not any list of compatible third party lenses with new mirrorless cameras. Canon just told that ef lenses would work as good as with dslr cameras. Is there a solution to this problem? 

30 REPLIES 30

1st Party EF lenses released prior to 2009 do work. But certain features such as support for Movie Servo AF & 12 FPS don't work. Canon has a list of lenses that support the above mentioned features. My dad's old EF 70-210mm F/4 & my old EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM lenses work when adapted on an R series body via the EF-RF Mount adapter. All functions such as aperture control, AF & IS work. As you said certain features won't work ie Movie Servo AF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

@deebatman316 wrote:

1st Party EF lenses released prior to 2009 do work. But certain features such as support for Movie Servo AF & 12 FPS don't work. Canon has a list of lenses that support the above mentioned features. My dad's old EF 70-210mm F/4 & my old EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM lenses work when adapted on an R series body via the EF-RF Mount adapter. All functions such as aperture control, AF & IS work. As you said certain features won't work ie Movie Servo AF.

No, they don’t. Lenses released prior to the first Dual Pixel AF sensor in 2009 are not fully compatible.  This also applies to DSLRs with Dual Pixel AF sensors.

53ADFB9D-7709-48B3-9ECC-557F2C9CED84.jpeg

The above is from the R5 manual.  There is list of FULLY compatible EF lenses in the manual somewhere, too.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I mean as in basic use of the lens does IS, AF & aperture control work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No, they do not. IBIS will function in degraded mode.  

The manual doesn't state such things. Or at least I can't find that. Also AF, Aperture control & metadata are retained.

-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

The manual doesn't state such things. Or at least I can't find that. Also AF, Aperture control & metadata are retained.

IBIS was not available when the camera was first released.  It may have since been corrected in firmware updates.  The basic issue was that the IBIS menu would go away when you attached an EF lens, sending IBIS into a 2-Axis mode.

The work around was to turn on IBIS without a lens attached.  Once done, the IBIS menu option would no longer go away when an EF lens was attached.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/EOS-R6-IBIS-with-EF-Lens/m-p/322165#:... 

Many EF lenses are do not support the high frame rates in the MILC bodies.  For the last time, not all Canon EF lenses are fully compatible with RF bodies.

577887DC-5621-44A4-AB6C-57C327CD03F9.jpeg

I know that Canon has a list of which support 12 fps. I'm just stating that pre- 2009 EF lenses will work. But there will be limitations based on the lenses that are used. Your making it sound like they won't work at all.

-Demetrius

Although I have fully transitioned to Canon  RF glass.  I have many happy years with Sigma lenses.  I mentioned Global Vision earlier, which is Art, Sports and Contemporary glass.  This is from Sigma's website.  They only call out global vision lenses as compatible with the EOS R.

Screenshot_20230323-180011.png

Adapt your favorite SIGMA lenses (compatibility tested by SIGMA)

However, we know that the 150-600c exhibits focus pulsing when adapted on the R7, as many wildlife photographers have pointed out.  The degree to which this occurs varies but the issue does exists on some lenses where compatibility is claimed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My friend's dad has the R7 but he mainly uses EF lenses. He just switched to the RF Mount a few months ago. He uses the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM lens for high school sports.

-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

I know that Canon has a list of which support 12 fps. I'm just stating that pre- 2009 EF lenses will work. But there will be limitations based on the lenses that are used. Your making it sound like they won't work at all.

Many EF lenses are do not support the high frame rates in the MILC bodies.  For the last time, not all Canon EF lenses are fully compatible with RF bodies.”

You make it sounds like all lenses are fully compatible.  Learn how to read.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements