cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus pulsing issue with canon eos r10

Ilias_laz
Contributor

Hello, I was using an old canon eos 50d with a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 ex dc os hsm, and both worked great (this lens is especially sharp). Recently I decided to invest in mirrorless system as I had read that with ef to rf adapter my ef lenses would work great. Unfortunatelly when I am using this lens with r10 I get a massive pulsing issue when I am focusing with servo mode. I am very dissapointed because there was not any list of compatible third party lenses with new mirrorless cameras. Canon just told that ef lenses would work as good as with dslr cameras. Is there a solution to this problem? 

30 REPLIES 30

Canon, like all camera manufacturers, do not offer compatibility information or support for third party lenses. 

They have no control over the design or manufacturing of 3rd party equipment, and the can, and do only offer information and support for their own equipment.  There can be no responsibility without matching control, and that control of 3rd party products is held by those makers.  This principle is true for all OEM manufacturers, in photography, computers etc.

Caveat Emptor: It is the responsibility of any purchaser to make sure that a third-party product they are considering will work with any OEM equipment, especially when that 3rd party equipment is old.

Canon are not alone in this, Nikon recently banned 3rd party lenses: see this article: Canon will approve third-party RF lenses on "a case-by-case basis" (msn.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ilias_laz
Contributor

If canon had inforned customers that not all ef lenses would work fine on rf cameras I would be ok with that and thinking twice before switching to mirrorless. But now I bought a new camera to find out that some of my lenses are not compatible and not wornikg properly. Shadowsports replied above that this lens is old but this is an excuse to the problem as there is not newer aps-c zoom lens with f2.8. Even canon's 17-55 f2.8 is older than sigma lens. 

For the lenses that support it you can see if they have any software updates to make them more compatible with the R's.

The Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM doesn't support the Sigma dock for software updates. Since it's an older lens hence "EX" in the name. The lens the OP mentioned above also DOES NOT work properly on the EOS 90D either. So it's not an EF-RF Mount adapter problem. Some 3rd Party EF lenses don't play nicely even on their native mount.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

You don't need the dock, you can send it back to Sigma or Tamron if an update is available.

I know that older lenses could be re-chipped but I don't known about this lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

The 17-50 is a dated lens now and as I mentioned, not gobal vision which are the only lenses supported by the Sigma Dock.  The lens is now EOL and sigma won't service it.  Upgrade it, change its mount etc.  I had the 17-70, but let it go, admit reluctantly when I moved to full frame.  I may have been lucky with my copy, but it was truly one of my favorites.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I own this lens too along with an EOS 40D which are still working but have been retired. Before I decided on a new camera whether that be APS-C and Full Frame. I tested this lens on the EOS 90D which is the successor to the EOS 40D by many years. This lens doesn't work properly with that camera either. It pulses rapidly when OS was enabled or it would miss focus. It also didn't focus well in Servo AF very well. It also had problems in low light requiring a speedlite with the AF Assist Beam enabled. I ultimately went with the 5D Mark IV since I owned a few L lenses anyway.

-Demetrius

Hi IIias_laz,

This has been brought up elsewhere.  I don't know if we can provide you with an answer you will be satisfied with.  I do not see how its Canon's responsibility to ensure a 3rd party lens or hardware works with their product or device, unless claimed. The same way its not Sigma's responsibility to ensure a Canon product works on one of their cameras. If you put a 3rd party product on a Sigma camera body, would you expect Sigma to be sure or even know if it worked? Unfortunately, not. They didn't make it or have any control in its design.

Canon does tell you what lenses work with their adapters:

Usable Lens                                                Canon EF lenses
Excludes RF lenses, EF-M lenses, CN-E lenses (EF cinema lenses)

If you visit Sigma's website for the 17-50, there is nothing there that says what cameras or body's this lens will work with. It states compatible mounts are x, y, z. They do not call out what it does or doesn't work with.

Sometimes things work well together, and sometimes they don't. Canon's lenses work with Canon's body's. Canon does publish a compatibility matrix with the majority of their camera's telling you what Canon products and accessories work together and what doesn't. They cannot be responsible for other products they do not control or manufacturer.

Would it be great if all 3rd party lenses worked with every body Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Panasonic, Sony, etc made. Of course, but its not possible and no where do any of these manufacturers claim they do so.

I own Sigma glass myself that worked great with other Canon bodies I've owned. Some work well adapted, and others not so much. Would I like them to work 100%, yes.  Is it Canon's fault if they don't, I don't believe it is.  This is my personal view.  I understand your disappointment and am sorry you feel deceived.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

As I pointed out above, Canon does include a list of fully compatible EF lenses in the User Manuals.  I want to add that no EF lenses with initial release dates prior to 2009 are supported. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements