cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Service Center Complaint

mgsipa
Contributor

This is in regard to Repair ID: [Removed personal information per Community Guidelines]

I turned in my Canon 5D MkII in to my local Canon FSC for repair after my toddler pushed the camera off a table and the mode dial was damaged but not broken. Nothing else was damaged, and the drop was not big. I was quoted $211.89 for the repair, which included $19.99 for the Mode Dial, Labor, and $129 for an 18-point DSLR Maintenance Service, which he said was mandatory with my service. I questioned the $129 charge, but was told it was a requirement included in the repair. If this was a lie, please discipline your employees when they lie.

Today I received a revised estimate of $316.67 without an explanation. I called the Canon FSC and was told that a technician determined that I need a whole new Top Cover and that my USB connections are damaged and need to be replaced. Again, please discipline your employees when they lie. The top cover does not need to be replaced, nor were the USB connections damaged at all. I have photos from before I turned in the camera showing that none of these were damaged. I've been lied to before, but this takes the cake. I've taken cars to mechanics that were more honest.

I was told that all these parts are needed for my camera to be returned to it's original factory specifications, but I NEVER ASKED for the camera to be returned to original factory specifications. I only asked for the mode dial to be repaired. Your service is tantamount to taking my car in for an oil change and having the mechanic revise my request to include a complete engine restoration that I didn't ask for.

Please know that we don't live in the 1970's where things like this were easily swept under the carpet, and I don't intend to allow it to be swept under the carpet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, fine.  It looks like you made your decission.   Call them up and request them to return it to you as is.

Then call Midwest Camera Repair and ask for an estimate.  They will do it on line.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have never had a problem with Canon factory service (New Jersey facility).

Did you ask about just having the dial fixed w/o the other repairs?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I have never had a problem with Canon factory service (New Jersey facility).

Me neither. That facility does a good job and is exceptionally fast. I once sent them a camera that I had bricked by screwing up a firmware upgrade. They were careful to make sure that I could pick it up on my way to Philadelphia for a photo shoot, and even elected (unasked) to treat it as a free warranty repair. Just sayin'.

Oh, and I wasn't yet a CPS member at the time. Just a clumsy owner.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

mgsipa
Contributor
Yes I did. The lady was quite short in telling me, "Well sir, this is what our technician determined needs to be replaced to have your camera restored to factory spefifications". I even asked her why they're charging me $316 to replace a part that costs $19.99 and I got the same answer, followed by, "Do you want to approve the repair or have the camera returned to you as is?"

mgsipa
Contributor
By the way, I turned in my camera to the Newport Beach, CA service center, who apparently then shipped it to Newport News, VA who then gave me the new estimate. Mind you, I already prepaid the original estimate of $211 whrn I turned in the camera.

I can't say you'll be successfull, but ask to speak with a supervisor or call 1-800-OK-CANON and speak with them.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"....  I was quoted $211.89 for the repair, which included $19.99 for the Mode Dial, Labor, and $129 for an 18-point DSLR Maintenance Service, which he said was mandatory with my service.  ..."

I'm probably dead wrong about this, but I don't think the mode dial is a separate item.  I've looked up what it would take to replace the mode dial on my 6D, which many owners seem to break somehow. 

The mode dial is one part of an entire assembly that forms the entire top cover piece of the entire camera.  Think of it as you would a headlight assembly on a car.  All you need is the trim ring, but all they sell is the assembly.  Selling entire assemblies, instead of the dozen, or dozens, of parts that go into it makes for simpler inventories, and less merchandise that sits around and never moves.

[EDIT]  I'm guessing that $19.99 may have been the actual charge for the mode dial, which is the little plate glued onto the mode dial knob, that many people seem to lose.  The actual knob itself is probably part of an entire assembly, which may have been what you were charged for.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I totally feel for you but your 5D2 is certainly worth, "I received a revised estimate of $316.67", to have it returned to factory specs.  Don't you agree?

My experience with Canon, mostly CPS, has been not just good but outstanding.  And that is for many years, ah, decades would be closer!  I used my gear professionally which menas it saw a lot of service.

But it is a free market and you can certainly take your camera to a different shop. Why do they call it a 'free market'?  Not much is free, is it?  If I were you, send them the money and put it behind you.  Move on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mgsipa
Contributor
I've found the mode dial itself, sold separately from the top cover for $19.99 online, but I'm not confident that I'll know how to take the old one out and put a new one in. What I do know is that the dial and the top cover are not one piece. Even the lady I spoke with said that when you turn in a camera to a Canon FSC they have to reservice it to brand new condition whether you want them to or not. I find that ridiculous. I think it's a money making scheme. Repair what the customer asks you to repair, and don't change parts just because they're scratched.

None of us here can solve your problem. As I said earlier:

"I can't say you'll be successfull, but ask to speak with a supervisor or call 1-800-OK-CANON and speak with them."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements