cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err20 on all three of my R5's

OakandGold
Contributor

Hi all. I'm at my witts end with these cameras. Im a full time wedding photographer and I have 3 R5's. I am getting the err20 on ALL of them. And they all are only around a year old. They have nowhere near the amount of shutter clicks that should cause the shutters to fail. It seems almost as if they're getting stuck. Its weird. 

I only use canon RF lenses, only use canon batteries, do not use any sort of 3rd party anything on them. I have also updated all firmware on the cameras and lenses. Still, Im getting the errors. 

I have been a lifelong canon user. From rebels to all of the 5D ones and now the R5s. I absolutely love these cameras but I cannot trust these cameras at this point. I had to rent a camera at my last wedding. Which is ridiculous since I spent close to 12k on these. 

Any suggestions? I guess I will have to send them in but after spending this money on these and them ALL failing within the first year is absolutely unacceptable. 

21 REPLIES 21

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Error 20 is a mechanical issue with either the shutter or the mirror, but it is extremely unlikely that you would get the same error message with three such bodies, so let's look for a commonality elsewhere.  It would also be interesting to know if you have been experiencing this error with different lenses, or if it is one lens what that is please.  Also, what SD cards are you using please?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor -

I only use two lenses - the RF 24-70 and the RF 70-200. It happens with both lenses. 

For cards I use dual memory slots. For my SD slot I use sandisk extreme pro UHS-II, and for the Cf express slot I use Sandisk extreme pro as well. Both 128GB.

For a while I could do the whole turn off the camera, remove the battery and turn them back on and it would work. But now they don’t work at all.

I don’t abuse my cameras and take very very good care of them. Which is why I find this so frustrating.

@OakandGold wrote:

Hi Trevor -

I only use two lenses - the RF 24-70 and the RF 70-200. It happens with both lenses. 

For cards I use dual memory slots. For my SD slot I use sandisk extreme pro UHS-II, and for the Cf express slot I use Sandisk extreme pro as well. Both 128GB.

For a while I could do the whole turn off the camera, remove the battery and turn them back on and it would work. But now they don’t work at all.

I don’t abuse my cameras and take very very good care of them. Which is why I find this so frustrating.

This is just a wild guess. Since it happens to 3 cameras in the same environment, could it be a strong electromagnetic field. Are there any devices nearby that contain radio transmitters, magnets, or transformers. If you are not using any of the radio transmitters built into the cameras, maybe put them in airplane mode.

I do not known of any way to attach an electrical ground to the cameras or shield them.

I have seen electronics misbehave when there is a powerful transmitter nearby.

I does indeed sound environmental.  Are all the weddings in the same or in nearby venues?  In that case, a road trip may be in order just to see if the cameras continue to exhibit the issues at different locations further away.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

We do travel to many states and locations. This is not environmental. Due to the nature of the weddings we do, most are indoors. But we have been everywhere from our hometown of atlanta to maryland and beyond. When they started acting up, it was not all at the same time. It was one, then a few months later the next, then the last one. For a while I could do the fix of turning it off and removing the batter. But eventually that stopped working too. And again, not all at the same time. 

IMO after more research between myself and some friends who have an r3 and a couple r6s i truly believe it’s a flaw with many of these cameras. A Google search turns up many such cases in newer R series cameras. 

This is so disappointing that canon makes cameras that cost almost 4000 where the shutter barely lasts a year with light to moderate use. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear about your issues.  I would send at least one camera body to Canon for a checkup.

I agree with Trevor.  It is unusual for three cameras to have the same failure mode at the same time.  There could be some common denominator that is causing the issue.  

The most obvious commonality is their environment.  Are they getting dirty inside of the lens mount?  Use a rocket blower to puff them out just to be sure.  Ditto for the lenses.

This is an unusual issue.  The first step is to send at least one body to Canon for inspection.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using Canon OEM batteries or third party?

Any non-Canon attachments?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

My original post says only canon batteries (yes they’re oem) and NO third party anything attached. I only buy canon.

The cameras are kept immaculate. I shoot mostly indoor, and outdoor stuff is never around sand or dirt. I had the 5D Mark II, Mark III and Mark IV cameras for 5 or so years each and shot much more than I do now and never had a shutter issue. Never had any issues with that line. 

I have colleagues who have the R series (R6 and R3) and they’ve had this issue as well. Though they’re still at the point where if they turn off the camera and remove the battery they can then continue to shoot. Mine did that for a while and now it’s to the point when I turn it back on it immediately has the error on one of them and the other two if I take one shot it shows up. 

I'm beyond frustrated as a loyal canon customer for 20 or so years. I’ve spent tens of thousands on equipment with them and this is the first time I’ve ever had any issues. And now to have to pay $499 each on cameras that are all only a little over a year old is ridiculous. 

"And now to have to pay $499 each on cameras that are all only a little over a year old is ridiculous. "

You may not have to pay. You should initiate verbal contact with Canon and describe the situation. Don't just send them in.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements