cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos R or R6

hemantjup78
Apprentice

So I’ve decided to make the jump into a fu frame. I’m currently shooting with the 90d. I’ve gathered some funds and I’m selling my current equipment.

Would you all go into the R because it’s just a bit cheaper or jump on the new r6? Give me some honest opinions! Cheers.

11 REPLIES 11

SBK
Enthusiast

It all depends what you want to do with the camera. you may  want to tell more on that.

For example, do you need to do video of yourself presenting something, if so, then the R's Articulating Touchscreen LCD will be a bettter choice.

You may want to compare the specs of the two cameras.

Greetings,

Just FYI, they both have articulating screens.

3.0 and 3.2 in.

Canon R6 vs Canon R Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Just FYI, they both have articulating screens."

Thank you for catching that. I saw this on BHphoto when i wrote my earlier message :

Selection_026.png

And to me, tilting is just tilting and not as versatile as articulating touchscreen.

But looking at the picture of the camera, the R6 does have an articulating screen :

Selection_027.png

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

I would go for the R6. Awesome camera that rivals the resolution of much higher megapixel bodies at high ISOs.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I have both the R and the R6, and I wish I had returned the R6 while I could. The color science is atrocious compared to the R. Skin tones are a mess, with some areas too red and others too green, making it very dififcult to correct. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I haven't gotten a single shot that meets my standards. It's a joy to shoot, especially with the improved eye AF. It's fantastic! But no matter what I've tried so far, I can't get results I like. 

Here's a guy mentioning the exact problem I'm running into:

https://youtu.be/KWV2C3UsoYs?t=89

And a few people mention it in this thread here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4521342

The R6 is a better camera functionally, but I'd suggest renting one and testing it out before you buy one to make sure it gives you the results you expect.

@johninbigd,

The R5/6 video was funny as "heck".  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@johninbigd,

The R5/6 video was funny as "heck".  

Yeah, the guy is pretty goofy and funny. I was just happy that he was able to capture the very problem I've been having with the R6. It's pretty clear in the video that the colors are wonky and I haven't found a good solution. I've basically been called an idiot for even stating that the R6 results aren't as good as other Canon cameras, but now I'm starting to find more people who are noticing the same thing. I'm going to take mine back and see what I can get as a trade-in on something else, maybe an RF lens. Hell, I'd even be tempted to try the R5, which by all accounts does have the expected "Canon" look.

One frustrating thing for me is that it's hard to find a lot of examples of people using R5 or R6 for portraits. Flickr lets you search for photos based on camera model and it seems like most R5/R6 shooters are nature/landscape/architecture shooters, which tells me nothing about how the skin tones are handled.

@johninbigd wrote:

I have both the R and the R6, and I wish I had returned the R6 while I could. The color science is atrocious compared to the R. Skin tones are a mess, with some areas too red and others too green, making it very dififcult to correct. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I haven't gotten a single shot that meets my standards. It's a joy to shoot, especially with the improved eye AF. It's fantastic! But no matter what I've tried so far, I can't get results I like. 

The R6 is a better camera functionally, but I'd suggest renting one and testing it out before you buy one to make sure it gives you the results you expect.

First of all, that guy in that video you posted is a liar. I have a very normal AMD desktop computer with 32GB of RAM and I can edit the 4k 60fps files from the R5 with ease. So I'll be honest I cannot give this persons opinion any value whatsoever because on that very basic point he is utterly wrong. 

Regarding the video from the R6, soooo many things could cause weird colors in video. Especially because these Youtubers all have their own idiotic LUTs they love to use.

Then he goes on to complain about the exposure compensation in video mode. LMAO... what an idiot. You can tell it to hold the exposure you want by pressing the AE Lock button...

This guy needs to stop making video and start reading the manual!

@shawnphoto wrote:

@johninbigd wrote:

First of all, that guy in that video you posted is a liar. I have a very normal AMD desktop computer with 32GB of RAM and I can edit the 4k 60fps files from the R5 with ease. So I'll be honest I cannot give this persons opinion any value whatsoever because on that very basic point he is utterly wrong. 

Regarding the video from the R6, soooo many things could cause weird colors in video. Especially because these Youtubers all have their own idiotic LUTs they love to use.

Then he goes on to complain about the exposure compensation in video mode. LMAO... what an idiot. You can tell it to hold the exposure you want by pressing the AE Lock button...

This guy needs to stop making video and start reading the manual!

That guy in the video isn't a liar.  He's a comedian.  

[EDIT]. I mean he calls himself "Camera Conspiracies"

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements