cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS focus issue

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

The single focus point in the view finder drops slightly diagonally right from centre and needs to be corrected by pressing the trash button. Note, this happens when the touch screen is closed. I've had the camera for around 6 months and it has only just started doing this.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you describe how it happens? Does it just move on its own or does it shift when you switch to the Custom C1 mode? Perhaps the focus point was off-center when you registered the custom setting?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What camera body are we talking about?

Are you saying that the center AF point is no longer in the center?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

sorry, it's the EOS R. Yes, just slightly down to the right, always the same place. It's as if I've moved it on the touch screen but I definitely did not. As I said, the screen is in the closed position.

Thanks, for the reply!  What shooting mode are you using?  What AF point selection mode are you using?

If you switch to the Green [A+] shooting mode, where is the AF point?

Shooting mode is Servo AF on manual, AF point selection is Expand AF area.

Green A+ is scene intelligent auto - multiple points. No idea if the same happens here but I doubt it.

The AF system uses an initial starting point, which is usually the center AF point.  Scene Intelligent Auto behaves this way.

C68326C5-3D10-483F-B746-D530CDA92AED.jpeg

The Expand AF modes do not display the Center AF point.  They display the Initial AF point, which can be selected automatically or manually by the user.

0C2B2F65-5530-4D06-9BDA-951E504F2183.jpeg

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

In order to explain the problem, I have attached 2 photos taken through the viewfinder. One shows the focus point centred, the other when the focus point drops inexplicably down and to the right. centredcentreddroppeddropped

Can you describe how it happens? Does it just move on its own or does it shift when you switch to the Custom C1 mode? Perhaps the focus point was off-center when you registered the custom setting?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, I think you've cracked it!

I didn't realize that the custom setting effected the focus point too!

Many thanks

Announcements