cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i Metering needle not working

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I asked this question in the EF and RF lens forum.

I thought my problem was specific to a new 18-135mm lens that I recently acquired, but I put on a 55-250 lens and I have the same problem.

I have a Canon T8i.

The metering needle on my camera seems to have stopped working in Av and Tv modes.

It works in manual mode.

I have reset the camera back to factory default settings.

The lens is registered to the camera and I have set the lens aberration control settings to on.

I have used two different lenses, and the problem remains.

Any suggestions for me?

Steve Thomas

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi again Steve:

I have posted a link to that thread so we don't have to repeat ourselves.  Please check out our answers there.

Previous discussion on this topic  

We are a bit confused by your reference to a 'needle'.  That kind of indicator was used in film cameras, but exposure in digital cameras is displayed as numerical value for the settings.  The only thing that might look like the legacy display is the exposure compensation display.  It is normally used in P, Av and Tv modes when one wants to override the camera's choices of settings, using the exposure compensation feature - I would recommend you review this in the manual.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Is OP by chance talking about the exposure compensation/ light meter in the viewfinder.

Screenshot 2022-10-22 142124.pngScreenshot 2022-10-22 142310.pngScreenshot 2022-10-22 142356.png

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Demetrius, I think we have it solved.  I have asked the OP to select the best solution and mark it as a resolution.   That has happened back in his original thread.  Confusing, but there you are...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I don't see a marked solution for that thread so I commented in this one instead.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Logical enough, did you by any chance review the posts were Waddizzle and I had already said that? 

The OP is yet to respond to the request to mark something as a solution so we don't have redundant efforts to solve the issue.

cheers, TREVOR

I see where Waddizzle posted. I probably missed it when I was switching between both forums.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Not surprising - it was all a bit confusing.  Furthermore, when I go to a post through the email notifications I sometimes don't see all (or on occasion) any of the responses.  I also get access denied messages - something odd there... 🤔

cheers, TREVOR

Hopefully this solves OP's problem. Posting in 2 different forums gets confusing and responses get overlapped.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Trevor,

Thanks. Yes, I did see those replies, and marked one of them as an accepted solution.

I posted in this forum because in my original post to the EF and  RF lens forum, I was asking a question about a specific lens. Later, I thought I was having a problem that extended across multiple lenses, and that I might be having a camera problem.. I subsequently learned that I was not having a problem after all and that things were working the way they are supposed to work. 

Steve Thomas

Announcements