Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i - Looking for a flash solution

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I have a Canon T8i.

The flash works by manually raising the flash unit (a feature that I really like, by the way).

I also have an Ultimax slave flash. It works by detecting the camera flash and it flashes simultaneously. I can position that anywhere in the room.

I'm a fan of side-lit photography, and would like to figure out a way of having the slave unit flash, but without the camera flash lighting up the front of the subject.

I've thought of getting a hold of some really dark film (maybe some underexposed 35mm film?) and fitting it over the top of the camera flash, but I don't want to use anything like glue or tape that might run the risk of mucking up the camera's flash lid. Also, if it's too dark, it might send the right signal for the salve unit to flash.

Any suggestions?

Steve Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Gaffer tape.

Generally, off camera flashes triggered by the main flash get confused by the ETTL pre-flash, though there are some triggers that can ignore it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although I have six Canon brand flashes and a few off brand flashes, I stopped using them years ago. Doesn't your flash and the T8i have a wired sync available? Don't use the weenie T8i top flash at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1,

No, the particular slave flash I have doesn't. It has an iron bar that attaches to the camera (if I want it) that is only about 4" long and the head doesn't tilt or swivel. I would still wind up with a front flash.

It was part of the kit when I bought my T6 several years ago.

As a slave flash set off to the side somewhere, it works great, but it's dependent on the camera flash going off. I'm trying to jerry-rig something.

Steve Thomas

The T8i doesn't have a PC Sync Port its not mentioned in the manual for the camera.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Lotus7
Rising Star

Unfortunately, your little Ultimaxx flash does not have a "hot foot" or a PC-sync connector.

If you expect to take a lot of side illuminated photos, you might want to invest in a slightly more advanced flash that either has a conventional "hot foot" or a PC-sync connector.  You can then use either a "off-camera" Hot Shoe Extender cable, or a Hot Shoe to PC-sync adapter and a long PC cable.  PC-sync adapters are available made by Wein (990-560) and Vello (HSA-PCU35) and other 3-party sources. 

There are also many wireless off-camera trigger transmitters/receivers (some quite inexpensive), but again they require a more traditional flash unit with traditional "shoe" or PC connector triggering.

In the long run, a proper off camera trigger system should result in a more reliable and enjoyable solution than a "jerry-rigged" system. Good condition used Canon 200E's and 300EZ's are often available for less than $30.

OP wouldn't get E-TTL/ Auto flash metering with E or EZ series speedlites. EZ series speedlites used A-TTL flash metering which is incompatible with all EOS Digital cameras. The best off camera flashes would be a used 270EX I, II, 420EX, 430EX I,II, 550EX, 580EX I,II. If OP has a budget in mind and can't spend a lot of money on used speedlites.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements