cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Ultimaxx Lens Compatibility

TammyB8
Apprentice

will a Ultimaxx High-Power 500mm (w/ Converter 1000mm) f/8 Manual Multi-Coated Preset Telephoto Lens fit a Canon EOS 2000D (Rebel T7) DSLR Camera w/Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 Zoom?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The info for that product says it needs a T-mount adapter, which is not supplied.

A T-mount adapter has a standardized mount on one side and a camera-specific mount on the other.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 133802.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-13 133850.jpg

I can't speak to the optical quality you will get, but you will need to manually focus the lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you! My daughter plays sports and I was looking for a reasonable starter camera and lens to begin with. The one that came with it was no good for long distance. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Also focus confirmation will be dicey at F/8. With a converter, focus confirmation will be impossible at f/16.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Much depends on your budget, and how far away the activities will be from you. I would suggest something in the range of 70-300mm, which on crop-sensor body would have an equivalent Field of View (would behave like a lens) of 112-480mm.   Canon Make several EF 70-300mm lenses (avoid the 75-300mm lenses, they're awful).  Any of the EF 70-300 lenses would be a good choice see my article on this 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community
If the action is quite a distance away, you could also consider a Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM which would have a FoV of 160-640mm.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you. It is softball in the outfield, so it's a good distance from where the spectators sit. About 230 feet. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I would go for the Sigma if it is within your budget. You may find a good used one at a camera store or on line.

If you really want to get up close then the Sigma 150- 600 contemporary lens will do that. It's a great optic and lots of folks are selling them as they get lenses for mirrorless bodies.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The Ultimaxx shows up at $99 on Amazon along with a bunch of extra goodies. You get what you pay for. In my opinion even all the stuff that’s included isn’t worth 99 dollars. 
I'm willing to bet you would get a higher quality image by cropping the image you get with your Canon lens than with that one. Any of the lenses recommended by Trevor would be good. The 150-600 is a beast of a lens. Hard to handhold. I can strongly endorse the Canon 70-300 USM II lens. The new AI tools like Topaz Photo AI are good tools for improving/upscaling digital images. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements