cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Image quality

Mark67
Contributor

Can anyone help? I am rather new to photography I have a rebel T7 and have been doing alot of nature, wildlife and astro photography. I have been shooting in RAW mode when I try to enlarge the pictures it tells me "low image quality" but it looks fantastic on the computer any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can understand your challenges.  Is there any way you can send the file to such a printing agency electronically?  They can then examine the file and let you know if they think it will print OK.  They might even be able to do that and ship the print to you.  Since COVID, most companies can do remote sales and service.

If this resolves your issue, then please mark my solution as a resolution, so others will not continue to try to solve it.  Good luck

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

@Mark67 wrote:

I have been using the raw + L as that gives me 2 copies of each photo. As far a printer settings go I don't beleive those are adjustable as wallmart just has a kiosk you can plug a thumb drive I to also I have not been cropping any of my images. Thank you for your help

When you say you are bringing a thumb drive to WalMart are you copying images from the camera card to the thumb drive or have you done some processing them in software and exported a processed image from the software?

A L JPEG should print a quality 8x10, but if you have processed and saved an image in software you may have saved a smaller file size.

I also don’t think that Walmart kiosk will read a RAW file. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I agree John - that was why I was asking what program he was using to view the files.  Something the MS Photo wouldn't alter the files without conscious effort, but other s/w might do some tweaking without it being obvious, especially if a RAW file was converted to a JPG for printing.  We shall see...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I download directly from the camera to the computer and No the wallmart kiosk does not rea raw files I do do a very basic amount of processing lighten darken type stuff when done the photo automatically converts to JPEG

What size JPEG is your software producing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I dont know and I don't know how to find out. Would it be listed under properties? Or ??

I don't know what computer system you are working with, but on a Windows box, if you look at the file properties in File Manager you should see all the info we need.  To do so, bring up the file in File Manager, Right Click on the file and select Properties.  A dialogue box will appear, and on the first tab you will see the file size in MB, if you then click on the tab for Details and you can read the pixel dimensions and file size on the list displayed.

If you use Photoshop, once the image is displayed on screen, from the Menu, select FILE, then FILE INFO, and then Camera Data: from this screen you can read the pixel dimensions and also the pixels per inch of the image.

In Lightroom, open the file as if to edit, then go to the menu and select VIEW, then INFO. On a panel you should see details of the file there.

cheers, TREVOR

I don't use Microsoft Photos, but I just tried an experiment.

I opened a .CR3 RAW file from my 1D X Mark III in MS Photos.

I selected edit, but did nothing to the file; I just selected "Save a copy"

It saved a JPEG of 2.42MB size; the original RAW file was 24.9MB.

I think that is your issue. I didn't have time to root around in MS Photos to see if the default settings can be changed.

Since you have a Rebel T7 maybe try using free Canon DPP4 for your editing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, if the OP is using MS Photos, it will definitely massively downgrade the images.  I didn't really see a clear answer as to what IS being used. But your suggestion makes sense if that is the case...

cheers, TREVOR

So I just compared the RAW version to the JPEG they are the same dimensions but the JPEG is 33.8 MB and the RAW CR2 file is 31.8 I am using windows 11 and whatever program it comes with to view my photos the editing software I an using is Luminar Neo

Thanks for that information.  So the size of the JPGs that you actually take to the printer, can you confirm what size those files are please?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements