cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 upgrade suggestions for crime scene work

jparmentier223
Apprentice

We are looking into getting new cameras for myself and my agencies investigators. I do crime scene work and am currently using a Canon Rebel T6 which works fine other than I cannot move the LCD monitor which I need in some scenes. What are your thoughts on the mirrorless cameras vs the DSLR cameras? We don't need anything fancy just something that will get the job done in outdoor and low light and crowded conditions. I don't take videos with the camera since we have a video camera that does that. At my old agency I used the Canon T3i which I loved! I need some direction on what to get. Thanks for any advice

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"I cannot move the viewfinder"

What does this mean? Do you need an articulating LCD screen?

Sorry my error I need to be able to move the LCD monitor not the viewfinder. 

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Back in the day, I did a little forensic work so I hope I can offer some relevant suggestions.  Much, as always, depends on your budget.  While I recognize that you had used the T6, which is a crop APS-C camera, for low light I suggest a full-frame sensor which normally has much better performance, and one with not a huge MP capacity - for much the same reason. 
I would definitely encourage you to go with the R-series bodies and lenses and I would suggest the following, although it would mean you will need a new lens or lenses:
The Canon EOS R8 has a 24MP full-frame sensor with excellent low-light performance.  It has brilliant focusing system and an fully articulating screen.  You can produce a wide range of printed images from this for trial purposes - although I suspect most will be on a digital display these days.
As to lenses:
You may have been using the EF-S 18-55mm kit lenses for the T6, and the equivalent to that for the FF bodies is  a  RF 24-105 variant that would give you an equivalent FoV to a 15-65mm lens on your T6.
There is an f/4 L version with a constant aperture, or a non-L version that is cheaper but still a good performer and you might consider that for some specific situations where better resolution and focal range is needed.
Otherwise, you can get a kit with the R8 body and a 24-50mm lens: which would be like a 15-32mm lens on your T6.

EOS R8 RF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit (canon.com)

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What about articulating screens which I think is what the OP considers a desirable feature?

I can see why Keith - some of the situations are extremely cramped and awkward, with evidence low to the ground and needing a view in from ground level.
The R8 has a fully-articulating screen, as I mentioned.
See: Canon EOS R8 Overview: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

It should be noted that the R8, as with many R-series bodies, does not have a built-in flash but you can get economical ones that fit on the hot shoe mount

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As an afterthought, instead of a flash, I would suggest a compact USB charged LED light panel. They are cheap and provide a constant light, so easy for the camera's sensor to work with and because the mirrorless show you exactly the exposure, you can set up the light right from the start.

Best On Camera Lights in 2024 (Continuous LED Light Panels) (shotkit.com)

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you so much for your help I was at a loss on what to get. I am totally okay with not having a built in flash as they usually do not provide enough light since it only goes out so far. I always have used an external flash so I can bounce the light when needed. I have never heard of a compact USB charged light panel and will definitely look into one of those as well as the R8. Thank you again 

Trevor what macro lens would you recommend for the EOS R8? My new agency only has the macro lens diopters for the T6 rather then just having the lens and I am not fond of them. I rather just have one lens to put on to take the close up examination photos of prints, etc. 

Announcements