cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 to T8i?

michale65
Apprentice

I’m shooting with a T5 at the moment. I’m considering upgrading to the T8i but want some opinions on if it’s worth the upgrade since I’m in college and it is quite a bit of money upfront.

Also I’m potentially in search of the T8i camera (possibly just the body) I’m only price gauging right now but would consider the splurge if a good offer came along.

Thanks everyone!

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You may want to instead look at either the EOS R50, or save up a bit more and go for the EOS R10.  Mirrorless is the future.   You would though need to budge for an EF to RF adapter so as to use your existing T5 lenses (assuming they are either EF-S or EF lenses) on those mirrorless bodies.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It is a significant upgrade as far as features go. 

https://versus.com/en/canon-eos-rebel-t5-vs-canon-eos-rebel-t8i

It's the top Rebel. Highly unlikely Canon will be releasing a T9i. I think it is a worthwhile upgrade for you. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@michael65,

Thats the quandary.  While the T8i represents a significant upgrade from the T5, mirrorless has become the industry standard and would future proof your purchase.  

John's point - The T8i is what most consider Canon's best entry level DSLR feature and performance wise.

Ricky's point - Mirrorless is the current standard.  Affordable models exists and in many ways would offer a higher return on investment over the course of its life, not to mention getting a more modern camera with enhanced features and performance.  

Your existing lenses if you have them can likely be easily adapted, especially if they are Canon brand.

Once you tell us about the lenses you currently own and establish an actual budget, we can help.  Canon also sells refurbished cameras and lenses which come with the same 1 yr warranty as new.  This might open up other options for you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What *doesn't* the T5 do for you that you think a T8i would address?

I currently have a T6S and if it should die - I am currently perfectly satisfied - I would look long and hard at an RXX.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

michale65,

I have a T8i and I like it very much.

Steve Thomas

Mitch_P
Enthusiast

I honestly think that for about the same money a EOS R10 would do you MUCH better than the t8i. It's just a vastly more capable camera. I own an R10 along with a R6 Mark II. If you already have lenses for your DSLR, all you need to do is buy an adapter. Amazon has one for $39. Good luck!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Yes to the above, except I would advise against the $39 adapter from Amazon.  Be safe and buy a Canon brand adapter or control ring. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I think it is a worthwhile upgrade for you."

I agree. If you're happy and satisfied with the Rebel format and layout go with the T8i. No matter what comes out in the future the Rebel t8i will still be a capable camera. There is a difference between upgrading and starting from the beginning. The t8i is an upgrade. A mirrorless camera is starting over.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements