cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Bulb Timer and issues with remote control

tbar23
Contributor

I have been using my EOS RP for astrophotography with the Bulb timer and a 2s delay shutter release. So I'll set my desired Bulb timer (usually 60 - 120 sec), press the shutter release to start the 2 s delay, and then I get the desired exposure time. As the weather gets colder, I would like to use the Canon app on my phone to release the shutter (I can probably get rid of the 2 sec delay), but I have had lots of trouble keeping the Bulb timer delay enabled while using either the bluetooth connection or the WiFi connection to my camera.

The behavior is somewhat erratic - sometimes I will get the programmed bulb timer, sometimes I will get no timer at all and sometimes I will get a "typical bulb" mode where the first press of the app shutter starts exposing and the second press stops the exposure.

I have also noticed that when I try to exit app control, I have to power the camera on/off before the physical shutter release button will start working again.

Has anyone encountered these issues.

Ideally, I would like to program a series of exposures ... say 20 shots of 90 sec each. Is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have an RP (I have a DSLR) but I do a lot of astrophotography.

My camera doesn't have a built-in timer option. It does have the ability to link with the canon IOS app; it has never worked sucessfully for me.

I use this for my shooting. (I use the more expensive option since I need the N3 connector, but from what I saw in the manual your cmaera just needs the E3 pin connector.) Works great and can work wired or wirelessly.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 060015.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have an RP (I have a DSLR) but I do a lot of astrophotography.

My camera doesn't have a built-in timer option. It does have the ability to link with the canon IOS app; it has never worked sucessfully for me.

I use this for my shooting. (I use the more expensive option since I need the N3 connector, but from what I saw in the manual your cmaera just needs the E3 pin connector.) Works great and can work wired or wirelessly.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 060015.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, John. I wondered if I would need to go this way. I did experiment a little bit last night, and I found that if I eliminated the 2s delay, the app worked a bit better. Howeer, I want consistent operations, so I'll check out the remote controller options.

Can you program a sequence of exposures with that device?

I see that you are a fellow New Englander - though you are closer to some nice dark skies than I am in Andover, MA!

Hi.

I am lucky here that we have good access to dark skies.

Yes, you can program duration and number of exposures. Or just use it as a remote release.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I ended up buying the TW-283 and it works well.
Announcements