cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS REBEL T6 Lens and Software Recommendations

INFOSYSTEMS
Apprentice

Good afternoon, I am an old school 35mm manual film shooter from the 80's and early 90's.  Most digital experience is using cell phone cameras and app based editing. 

I am just getting back into photography with an EOS REBEL T6 w/18-55mm, and looking for advice on lenses for shooting non-high speed @ 100 to 200 yards? Also, what editing software works best with photos taken with the T6?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

When you say shooting at 100-200 yards, are you looking to fill the frame with a small subject like a bird or a single sports player or are you looking to capture scenery or travel type images.

Any of the existing photo software should work with your camera. Canon has free DPP4. Adobe has Photoshop Elements. You will probably get a myriad of recommendations, everyone saying it's the best. They are all good; some products can be more easy to use than others, depending on your skill with a computer. Most products have free trials so you can experience the "look and feel' of the software for yourself. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

It sounds as if you want a telephoto lens. There are several possibilities...

- EF-S 55-250mm IS STM is a good performer, made specifically for APS-C cameras like yours. 250mm on APS-C is equivalent to 400mm on your old film cameras.

- EF 70-300mm IS USM (both the original and the updated "II" version) are good, too. They may be a little faster focusing and give a little more "reach". 300mm on an APS-C camera is equivalent to about 480mm on your old film cameras.

- EF 100-400mm L IS USM has come in two versions.... the original which is a push/pull zoom design and the "II" that's currently selling new in stores. Both are quite good. The II is excellent. These are both premium "L" series and rather expensive, but 400mm on APS-C is equivalent 640mm on your old film camera.

All the above lenses have IS or "image stabilization" which helps them be more hand-holdable.

I recommend avoiding the Canon EF 75-300mm lenses. They're the least expensive, but also the least capable. Some models lack image stabilization and use slow focusing micro motors. Their image quality simply isn't as good as any of the above lenses... especially the longer focal lengths.

Pairing up one of those telephoto zooms with your EF-S 18-55mm lens, you will have a pretty versatile setup.

I recommend Adobe Photoshop "Elements" software because it's among the most widely supported. There are "how to" books and videos, online training and plug-ins for expanded capabilities. Elements is also relatively easy to learn, with built in beginner, intermediate and expert user interfaces. You can choose or switch between them as you see fit. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@INFOSYSTEMS wrote:

Good afternoon, I am an old school 35mm manual film shooter from the 80's and early 90's.  Most digital experience is using cell phone cameras and app based editing. 

I am just getting back into photography with an EOS REBEL T6 w/18-55mm, and looking for advice on lenses for shooting non-high speed @ 100 to 200 yards? Also, what editing software works best with photos taken with the T6?

Thank you in advance!

I've pulled off nice shots of people sized subjects with a Rebel T4i using a EF 70-300mm L at over 100 yards, so I know it can be done, but it's not something I regularly do. IMHO, if that's what you are after, one of the super zooms (150-600mm) from either Sigma or Tamron would be the best bet.

As for software, I am also from the 35mm film days, and I really like shooting Raw and using the free Canon Digital professional 4 software (DPP 4). I have tried/own several editors over the years, and DPP 4 does a nice job working with Canon Raw files. It will get you started and then you can see exactly what you may want in an image editor.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements