cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D won’t read SD card- anyone replaced?

iruma77
Apprentice

Hi Everyone! I had an SD card break in the card slot. I got it out but now it won’t read any card. I took it to a camera place who said none of the pins are bent but suggested that I send it to canon for repair. Has anyone had this issue before? I’m hesitant to send it due to the length of time for repair (at least 3 weeks), cost (estimated $380) and if it’s worth it. I bought the camera in 2017 and just wondering if it’s just time for a new one. I don’t have the time for repair as I am just getting into the busy season for fall portraits. Thank you for any advice you can give me!

3 REPLIES 3

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings iruma77,

I'm sorry to hear about your EOS 6D camera no longer reading SD cards. You may send the camera to our repair facility directly for repair. The turnaround time for repair may be about 5-7 business days from when the repair begins and you will receive an email with a tracking number when the camera is shipped back to you. Repairs include a 6 month warranty on what has been repaired.

An alternative option may be the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera at a discounted price. If you would like to see if you are eligible for the Canon Upgrade Program then please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Saturday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera available at the time of your call.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you sure you got 100% of the card out. Even if the pins aren't bent look carefully in the card slot, especially right at the bottom, to see if a piece of the broken card might be there, preventing the card from seating properly.

If that doesn't bear fruit, Keh camera has an Excellent rated 6D for $550. Keh is known for their conservative rating system.

If you are getting into your busy season I wouldn't recommend getting involved with a new, unfamiliar camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In addition to John's recommendation.  If you are concerned about revenue stream...  you may want to consider owning more than one body.  If you are being paid for your work, a camera with 2 memory card slots might also be a wise investment.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements