cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Issue firmware v1.6 in video, any ideas on what is happening please

mcalbala
Apprentice

I am having an issue with the video settings after I upgraded to version 1.6 of the software for a canon r5

After upgrading, the video options presented to me are all for 8K video, and I see no means of choosing 4K video.  This means that I get less than 2 hours of recording time on a 1 terabyte card and the time to transfer for editing is problematic as well.

I may be missing something, any ideas would be appreciated

2 REPLIES 2

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

What exact model camera are you using (usually on the top or front of the unit)?
Do you see any error messages?
Which Computer Operating System are you using (Windows 7/8/10/11 or macOS 10/11/12)?
Any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue.
If you're in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.
If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I'm struggling to understand your issue.  I've had the R5 for over a year, and I upgraded to 1.6 when it came out, and the upgrade didn't change the shooting modes in the slightest.  With 4k HQ mode enabled, you get the 4k HQ modes.  With 4k HQ disabled, you get all the modes, including 4k, 8k, and FHD.

So I'm scratching my head here.  "Movie cropping" would lock you *out* of the 8k modes.  I can't think of anything that would lock you *in* to them.  In RAW mode you can only shoot 8k, but on the screen where you choose RAW, the 4k modes are clearly visible.  Just switch out of RAW to enable them.

Are you sure you're in movie mode?  On the top-left corner of the screen, there should be an icon of a movie camera on legs with the mode name on top of it.  When you go to choose your resolution in the menu, it should say "Movie rec. size".  If it says "Image quality", and "JPEG", then you're in stills mode.  Press "Mode" and then "Info" to switch to movie mode.

Announcements