cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 packaging damaged, missing manual, missing US warranty card

Genetics2010
Contributor

I live in the USA and purchased the R8 off of the US Amazon site from a third party Brand New(body only). A relatively large seller that is a company.   When I got the camera the box was a bit beaten up and the manual was not in a plastic - Also a little worn and bent.  The Charger was a two piece charger with cord.  I also did not get the USA & Canada only paper.  My question is if I should be concerned in any way?  I mean the camera and battery look brand new.  However I can't verify shutter count because canon makes it impossible.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

"When I have got the more recent items here in NZ they have actually had a seal.   I think that may be something to do with the conditions of sale specific to NZ."

That must be a NZ thing, Trevor.  The boxes in the U.S. are not sealed.  The camera store I usually go to will even have you open the box in the store, just to make sure everything is in the box.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

If you find a part missing, then that is covered under CGA.  While sending it back because you don't like it is a bit more restrictive, I think it is more than made up for with the 5 year warranty!  No-one here, if they are aware of their rights, buys an extended warranty.
There are grey market providers, but even they are subject to the CGA.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"While sending it back because you don't like it is a bit more restrictive"

I couldn't agree more.  That's why I've been telling people for years, "Before you buy it online from Canon, or someplace reputable like B&H or Adorama, go to your local camera store and pick it up to get the feel for it." 

As for extended warranties - personally, I have never purchased one on a single product in my life. I never regretted not having one.  If something ever does go wrong with a product after the original warranty expires, I figure the many thousands of dollars I have saved over the years by not buying extended warranties will more than cover it. It's crazy how many things you can get extended warranties on these days, and it is simply because it is easy extra money for the company almost every time.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

".. if you have to pay a restocking fee, it will be well worth it to return."

Not necessarily, I have heard of 50% restocking fees. Plus shipping and insurance. Calculate the cost to send it back before you jump into another bad deal. Once you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Check the camera out and make sure it is OK which it probably is and just use it. Enjoy it and put this in the learning category.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That would be insane.  From my reading they could charge up to 20%. which is still insane $1300 - 20%, is a $260 restocking fee for only having the camera 1 day.  Don't get me wrong. I thought about keeping it. But as others have pointed out.  What if I run into issues.  I have no clue if these 1 yr seller warranties (registermywarranty dot com) will be worth spit if I have any issue.

Regards, B.W.

Definitely sounds like a shady business.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

TimmyLee
Apprentice

I've had great success reaching out to Amazon, especially if you are a long time Prime member such as I.  Report that seller in detail.

I am a family prime member and our account spends 10's of thousands of dollars per year.  The seller has about 10 hours left of 48hrs to respond to my contact request message about sending me a prepaid label.  If not Amazon A-Z is suppose to kick in.

Regards, B.W.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" What if I run into issues."

You would have to pay for repairs yourself. That's it! I still think keeping it and moving on is probably your best option. Probably your cheapest way out too. Even though you may be a Prime member if it is a stated policy of that vendor,  I doubt Amazon will do anything. You know over 60% of Amazon is their market place venders which are not Amazon. How much is frustration worth to you especially when you have so little to gain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Genetics2010
Contributor

I appreciate the feedback and suggestion. The problem with understanding the Stated policy of that Vendor is that there is no section like that on the product listing or the Sellers profile page.  Only policy that can be seen is generic Amazon Return policy information.

Prime member or not I think I have a good case for return. But you are right, this is frustrating. The overwhelming response on this board is that I should buy from reputable dealer.  I don't think it is what little I gain but how much I lose by keeping it. 

1. If I keep it, I need to add carePAK right away - can't wait for the 364 day of 1yr native warranty to add carePAK.
  2. More likely grey market or shady will break - In the event if I decide not to purchase carePAK at all, or is breaks outside of the carePAK period.
  3. Questionable Warranty from RegisterMyCamera .com - is it as good? better? worse? without doing any research I have no clue. But manufactures warranty sounds more trust worthy.

Maybe I will never need to use the warranty. In that case you are right. But is the frustration worth the piece of mind? 

I purchased a new camera from the USA. But all signs point to ---> That's not what I got.

Regards, B.W.
Announcements