cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II, white dot on photos. Is this dust?

ranger052
Contributor

Hi,

I've been using the R6 MK II and noticed a white dot appearing on every photo I take, regardless of the lens used. It isn't visible at normal viewing distances, but when I zoom in to 100% or more in Lightroom, it becomes noticeable.

My camera is 12 months and 2 weeks old, and I've never cleaned  the sensor. I did try the auto sensor cleaning feature from the camera menu, running it about 7 times, but the white dot persists.

Any advice?Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 5.15.51 PM.png

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority

Perhaps a hot pixel? A raw file will tell.

Hi, Thanks! I do not have a raw at the moment ( I convert all RAW to tiff using Canon DPP and then edit in LR and PS ). Here is a zoomed pic showing the white dot to the right side of the ear and here is a link to a dropbox with the full size tiff file. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16mrYbdr1586ldGGBfQHzB4Ty1Msxv-VH?usp=share_linkScreenshot 2024-03-22 at 5.35.15 PM.png

A tiff is demosaiced. One bad pixel may after demosaicing affect many more around.

As soon I get home I will take a quick pic and upload the raw.  Thank you Peter for the help. 

Hi Peter,

Something strange happened—the white dot isn't showing up in any of the photos now. I didn't do anything except walk to my backyard and take about 20 random pictures with the same camera orientation. Tomorrow, I'll head to my usual spot with my pet and repeat the process to see if the dot shows up in those photos. But for now, it seems to be gone at least 🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree.  I think it would be black if it were dirt or foreign object.  Have you looked at the sensor?  I believe you can tell the shutter to stay open when the lens is removed.  I can on my body I believe.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I haven't looked at it directly to be honest.  I normally do not like removing the lens much to avoid getting dust in.  But,  I will have to this time. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It will be fine. Just do it inside.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements