cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Rattles when turned off

KK2023
Apprentice

Just bought camera and when off components rattle loudly at the easiest tilt. I’ve read it’s IBIS. It quiets down once turned on but still hear it.
I’ve read the 6 has noise but doesn’t sound like a broken cheap toy like the mark2. 
May I get some feedback on this plz?

any adjustments to make anywhere within camera to stop this rattle? Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is the IBIS.  In body image stabilization.  Completely normal.  Nothing to worry about.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thx.
the noise is incredibly loud . And I never have my camera turned on 100% of the time which means in quiet places it will rattle. I use to shoot on set stills and for a Mirrorless camera it’s awful to have this rattle at any time. Very bizarre 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I understand.  I assure you its 100% normal.  It can sound disconcerting, but there is nothing to worry about.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Do you know of Any setting internally that will help to quiet  it down?

thx for your help 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have the R6 Mark II, but I have yet to notice any sort of rattle.  I think I did enable the setting that covers the sensor when you remove a lens.  It might also cover the sensor on power down.  I do not recall if I disabled Continuous AF or not.  It will be a few hours before I can review my settings.

I dunno.  I see no point in trying to make my camera rattle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

KK2023,

IBIS is only active when the camera is on.  When its off, its possible for the sensor to rattle a bit.  Its well documented on the web, you've read about it.  I've not heard of a setting that can diminish this sound.  IBIS is active when the power is on and not when its off.    

Newer lenses can also make a similar noise.  This is how the lens is designed.  Like the body, its lens group "floats" and the sound it creates when the IS is not active "energized" can sound like a rattle.   

Image credit Newton aka FloridaDrafter 

shadowsports_0-1695591492135.jpeg

You can use Google to read about it, and watch videos on Youtube.  Its normally occurring and nothing to worry about.    

Random example:

My RF 100-400 does the same thing if I shake it.  Sounds like a single marble baby rattle.  It takes great photos.  😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

My rattle sounds the same. Intense . 
have had a few cameras and none have rattled like this! I won’t worry about it but wow it’s annoying and leaves you with less confidence about the unit. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I truly understand.  When I took my 100-400 out of its box I was like "what the"?  Suddenly visions of UPS truck loaders using it for warehouse football went through my mind.  I shined a flashlight into thinking there was going to be a cracked or shattered mess.   Nope.  Then I mounted it and zoomed out, then back it.  Then I squeezed off a shot.  Perfect. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

It's mainly the shutter curtains that are making the loud rattling sound you hear in the R6 II body. Yes, R cameras IBIS and the RF lenses floating IS component move around a bit and are slightly audible until in use, but on their own, not that bad.

Newton

Announcements