cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 inconsistent stabilization results.

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

I've been messing with my R5's stabilization and it's been a little hit and miss.

With 2 of my lenses it performs very well, the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and the RF 24-240.

The RF 70-200 seems to get the claimed 7.5 stops of stabilization at a very high rate, and the RF 24-240 seems to get the claimed 6.5 stops of stabilization at a very high rate.

Where things start to go awry is with the RF 28-70 f/2. I haven't seen anywhere near the claimed 8 stops. More like 5 stops at 70mm and maybe 3 stops at 28mm.

And things go from a little awry to totally off kilter when using the EF 24-105 f/4 L mark II.

At the wide end I can barely get 1 or 2 stops of stabilization with the EF 24-105 markII on the R5... I actually think it is worse on the R5 than the EOS R. Again, oddly enough, I can shoot at say 1/20th and get good results across the zoom range, but as soon as drop below that it quickly goes to pot. Even though technically the EF 24-105 should be good for 4 stops with lens IS alone.

Is my R5 defective, are my lenses defective, or is this normal? Anyone with experience who can comment?

This seems to be the exact opposite of what is expected with IBIS where shorter lenses are supposed to do much better so I'm leaning towards a camera defect of some sort.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This is from the Canon USA online store.

C442A641-B7F1-4FC8-B005-E72E2BB8CA50.jpeg

IBIS does not work with all lenses.  There seems to be limitations associated with using the mount adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

egpamp
Apprentice

I just upgraded the firmware on my R6 to 1.5 and it is absolutely AWESOME, even with 3d party lenses!

Announcements