cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissappinted with the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM

Shebulba
Contributor

Hello, I'm new on this forum.

I recently bought a used EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM from a store online thinking it would be the greatest lens I have ever owned from reading up on it a lot beforehand.

The lens looks like new and I intended to use it on a Canon R6 mk 1 with the original standard Canon adapter. But to my disappointment just around 30-40% (if I'm being nice to the lens) of the shots are in focus on the eye using Servo AF, face + eye-tracking, back button focus and using shutter speeds around 1000-2000th. I have tested this on my 5 year old daughter and my wife who have been walking, running and just doing normal things in the every day life and with this low amount of shots in focus in pretty disappointed.

I have tried all different cases for autofocus and to nap the eye tracking to different buttons. I do have two R6's and the results are the same on both bodies. The firmware is the latest on both bodies too.

I have a few other lenses like EF 100mm f/2, Tamron 24-70 f/2 G1, EF 100-400mm L mk 1, RF 24-240mm that I have done the same tests with. The 100mm f/2 gets more shots in focus by a great margin for example, about 75% in focus. I thought I had bought almost the best EF 70-200 f/2.7 lens out there, but shouldn't it perform better than this? Maybe I should have kept my old Sigma EX 70-200 f/2.8 without stabilization instead...

Sometimes it looks like the focus is on the eyelash, nose or mouth but sometimes the image is just soft. When shooting static objects or people been still it gets focus as I would expect it to. The problem is when tracking moving subjects. Could there be something wrong with the lens so it's unusual slow to track?

For example I had my wife walk mostly towards the camera from a distance looking both straight on and to the sides with her head and of 169 shots I got 52 in focus. When it gets focus it is fantastic, but shouldn't it get more shots in focus?

Is there still something I can try or change to get the results I know this lens can achieve or is it a case of trying to return the lens? I'm shooting my first wedding this summer and wanted to use this lens, but I don't want to feel unsecure if the lens will get the important shots in focus or not doing while under the pressure of the big day for the couple.

Thank you for your thought on this!

39 REPLIES 39

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Without seeing any sample images that include EXIF metadata, then there is little advice anyone can knowingly offer. 

I own the lens and it is tack sharp. You could have a bad copy.  The lens does [NOT] focus as well with UV and CPL filters. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have a UV filter on. Do you really think that could effect the focus abilities of the lens?

Yes it affects how light enters the camera. You DO NOT need a UV filter. There is one built into the image sensor of the camera. Some lenses such as the EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens lineup DO NOT focus well with filters. It also makes pictures less sharp with that lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Do you have a different body to try the lens on?  I know you tried it on both R6's, but do you have an EF body to test the lens on, or a friend with one, OR do you have a local camera store (not a Best Buy, but a real camera store) where you can bring the lens in with one of your SD cards, and ask them to test it out with one of their display bodies.  Asking because it would be nice to know if the lens is working correctly on the EF system itself instead of an adapter.  That would be what I would try to rule out next to determine if it is the lens or not.

FYI, I have the exact same lens. I use it on the R6 Mk ll and it works flawlessly.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

I have a older 1Ds mark III I have tried it on. On static subjects its nice and sharp, but on my moving daughter it has a lot of shots not in focus, but that can be user error without tracking and a shutter speed of 1/500th. On my daughter standing still it gets sharp shots on the eyes.

But with a shutter speed of 1/500 you should see mostly sharp images with this lens on people moving.  I do with runners coming towards me with settings of F/2.8, 1/500, and ISO between 100-800 (depending on available light - most of the time at 100-200) and zoomed all the way in (or close to it) for most of the shots.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

From my experience with using EOS R series cameras with adapted EF glass. Every lens performs better on it than a DSLR. The EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM lens is a fantastic lens. I own the Mark III version of the lens. Which supports all features of the EOS R series cameras. I don't believe the Mark II does though. I noticed that you said that you bought it used. I would try it on an EOS DSLR to ensure it functions correctly. Without the adapter in the middle which could add problems.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Shebulba
Contributor
  • Skärmavbild 2024-05-26 kl. 22.06.25.pngHere is a sampla shot. Often the focus point isn't on the eye too, even if it looks like it when tracking. But I have many shots that looks like this for example. Here she was just walking. 
    Anything I can improve with the settings?
  • I have a older 1Ds mark III I have tried it on. On static subjects its nice and sharp, but on my moving daughter it has a lot of shots not in focus, but that can be user error without tracking and a shutter speed of 1/500th. On my daughter standing still it gets sharp shots on the eyes.

What are the settings on the lens switches?  Are you shooting through the EVF or with the rear LCD screen?  

[EDIT] Has the image in the screenshot been cropped?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements