cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 exposure compensation issues with firmware v. 1.8.1

lyrradnosneb
Apprentice

Since uploading v. 1.8.1 exposure compensation does not work using mode Fv with auto Tv, Av, and ISO. Turning the main dial shows changes in the info but no change to exposure in the display or in the saved photo. Is this a bug?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am utterly confused by your brief description of your issue.  

I own an R Series body, but do not use any of the Fv functionality because it is a bit too automated for my tastes.  Are you saying that you cannot move the control icon [on the] the Exposure Scale?  Which control are you using to control Exposure Compensation?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I can move the exposure compensation icon with the main dial but there is no exposure compensation actually applied to the image. It’s extremely frustrating because it used to work extremely well and has become my most used tool. The problem occurred since updating to v. 1.8.1. 

@lyrradnosneb wrote:

I can move the exposure compensation icon with the main dial but there is no exposure compensation actually applied to the image. It’s extremely frustrating because it used to work extremely well and has become my most used tool. The problem occurred since updating to v. 1.8.1. 

How are you making the determination that EC is not being applied?  If you have all the settings (Tv, Av, ISO) set to [AUTO] then you won’t [see] any changes to those settings.  They will continue to display [AUTO].

However, if you have ExpSIM enabled, you should see the scene become brighter or dimmer as you adjust the EC setting.

lyrradnosneb
Apprentice

Problem solved, thank you very much. Exposure simulation was disabled (which I don't remember doing) and now that I have enabled exposure simulation the correction is applied as expected. The scene now becomes brighter or darker as does the actual photo. I use Fv because I can easily choose to set shutter, aperture, or ISO manually when needed (e.g. macro photography); however, the auto settings frequently work really well for me. Thanks for your insight.

Congratulations.  That is good news.

Now that I think about it, I think my “DSLR fingers” do not want to change muscle memory.  I still shoot with DSLRs.  I appreciate the consistent user interface from one body to the next.

I typically shoot in M mode with ISO Auto.  I program the [SET] button for EC, which allows me to indirectly control ISO.  When shooting from a tripod I do not use ISO Auto, I might switch to Av for a long exposure.  Or, I will dial in an ISO to capture multiple images for landscape panorama.  You do not want to change exposure from one shot to the next when you capture a series of pano samples.

Since my last post I've remembered that I was using electronic flash to do macro photos, and the TTL flash required disabling exposure simulation. However, by now I'm so dependent on using the main dial for exposure compensation that I'll switch to using continuous LED light for macro. 

You could also register a Custom Shooting Mode for using a flash with ExpSIM disabled.  I define and use Custom Shooting Modes.quite frequently.  I have them defined for action/wildlife photography.  

One uses a single AF point, One Shot AF, and Single Shot drive mode.  Another uses Zone AF, Servo AF, and Continuous Drive mode.  There are also differences when it come to how BBF is configured, too.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements