cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II RAW Video Glitches with Vintage/Non-Electronic Lenses

Greg_S
Contributor

Hi everyone, I just got an R5 Mark II and am having issues with RAW video shot with vintage manual lenses. I have several old lenses in my collection that don’t communicate electronically with the camera. I’ve tested them alongside newer lenses, and every other file type works beautifully— no problem with RAW stills and MP4 video. RAW video files work fine with new lenses, but the only RAW playback that works when shot with a non-electronic lens is on the camera itself. Once I transfer the files, they’re loaded with glitches in Cinema RAW Development and they’re actually crashing both DaVinci Resolve and Premiere Pro. There are dropped frames, changes in brightness/color, glitch frames, and occasionally frames that almost look like academy leader. It's pretty messed up. Attaching images.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a camera setting or decoder plug-in I’m missing?

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.32 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.43 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.57 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greg_S
Contributor

Great news— Firmware v1.0.1 is now available, and fixes our problem.

I just installed the update, threw on an old lens, and grabbed an 8K clip with audio.
It plays back perfectly in Cinema RAW Development, Resolve, and Premiere.

You can find the update here, in the Software and Drivers section: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5-mark-ii

Happy shooting!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

I’m still waiting for Canon to answer, in the meanwhile I had to go and rent an Atomos and record all the clips one by one to salvage the footage, since the client obviously couldn’t wait for the problem to be solved

Wow— that thought had crossed my mind but just seemed like such a crazy workaround... glad you were able to salvage the shoot!

Quick question— did you transfer the raw files by connecting the camera via EOS Utility, or did you use a CF card reader? I have a dialog going with support and I can only attest to the direct connection, as I don’t have a reader for CF Express.

Did you transfer the raw files by connecting the camera via EOS Utility, or did you use a CF card reader? I have a dialog going with support and I can only attest to the direct connection, as I don’t have a reader for CF Express.

I transferred everything with the CF reader as this is what I do for all my sessions. Even right now I’m shooting RAW videos with RF lenses and all is good

Could you inform me on how to record with the atomos? All I see online is guides to screen record, is that the only option?

This is not the Community for discussing third party products. This is the Canon Community.

Stephen we are litteraly trying to figure out how to save footage from the canon r5mii because it has a bug with the metadata, could you try to understand that we are trying to help each other here?

etiennededuroch
Contributor

Same problem. Music video all shot on vintage lenses, playback is fine on the atomos. Shot a whole music video with it. Transfered everything with a card reader. Neither Davinci resolve or Premiere pro can read those files. I am getting pretty nervous. I'm glad you're in a dialog with Canon because here in Canada there is no way to be able to have someone helping you out.

Thank you for posting. Support has passed the issue along to their engineers to replicate and identify the issue. They said it may take up to five days to get a response. I'll post when I hear back.

Announcements