cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II RAW Video Glitches with Vintage/Non-Electronic Lenses

Greg_S
Contributor

Hi everyone, I just got an R5 Mark II and am having issues with RAW video shot with vintage manual lenses. I have several old lenses in my collection that don’t communicate electronically with the camera. I’ve tested them alongside newer lenses, and every other file type works beautifully— no problem with RAW stills and MP4 video. RAW video files work fine with new lenses, but the only RAW playback that works when shot with a non-electronic lens is on the camera itself. Once I transfer the files, they’re loaded with glitches in Cinema RAW Development and they’re actually crashing both DaVinci Resolve and Premiere Pro. There are dropped frames, changes in brightness/color, glitch frames, and occasionally frames that almost look like academy leader. It's pretty messed up. Attaching images.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a camera setting or decoder plug-in I’m missing?

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.32 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.43 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.57 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greg_S
Contributor

Great news— Firmware v1.0.1 is now available, and fixes our problem.

I just installed the update, threw on an old lens, and grabbed an 8K clip with audio.
It plays back perfectly in Cinema RAW Development, Resolve, and Premiere.

You can find the update here, in the Software and Drivers section: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5-mark-ii

Happy shooting!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,,

It sounds like you have a decent setup.  Are you certain your system meets the minimum requirements for RAW video playback?  I believe you indicated that raw files recorded with newer lenses plays normally on a computer, correct?   Are you using the latest version of Cinema Raw Development? 

How are you transferring the captured video from the card? 

Are you using a Canon brand EF to EOS R adapter?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi there, great questions, thank you for responding.

I have a Mac Studio with an M1 Ultra card. I’m a commercial video editor and regularly work with 6K/8K files from ARRI, Red, Sony, etc. The Canon RAW files shot on the newer electronic lenses play back flawlessly in all my apps.

I installed all the latest Canon software just a few days ago. I’m connecting the camera directly to the Mac and transferring via EOS Utility 3.

I do have the Canon EF to EOS R adaptor, but the old lenses are M42 mount so I also have a Fotodiox adaptor disc in the mix as well.

-Greg

Alessiocesario7
Contributor

Hey Greg! 

oh my god this is bad! it's happening to me as well and today we shot a whole fashion project on vintage glass and canon adapters, have you figure it out?

this is a big big problem now

Really sorry to hear you're having the same problem too... no solution yet as far as I know. Definitely contact support.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Since both of you are able to reproduce this behavior consistently, I think it would be a good idea to contact Canon support.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick. Been waiting to hear back from support for days.

Nah_man
Apprentice

The same error happens for me. With manual lens, RAW video glitches (concentric black rings, green glitch, crash) and crashes windows and resolve. But it plays back fine on camera. With an RF lens, raw video plays back fine on windows or resolve.

Thank you for posting. Have you reached out to Canon Support? I'm still waiting to hear back and am going to contact them again and reiterate that it's not a localized problem. I'll post with any updates.

Haven't yet

I think the footage itself is OK, ie not corrupted, but obviously uneditable at the moment. 

Announcements