cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II RAW Video Glitches with Vintage/Non-Electronic Lenses

Greg_S
Contributor

Hi everyone, I just got an R5 Mark II and am having issues with RAW video shot with vintage manual lenses. I have several old lenses in my collection that don’t communicate electronically with the camera. I’ve tested them alongside newer lenses, and every other file type works beautifully— no problem with RAW stills and MP4 video. RAW video files work fine with new lenses, but the only RAW playback that works when shot with a non-electronic lens is on the camera itself. Once I transfer the files, they’re loaded with glitches in Cinema RAW Development and they’re actually crashing both DaVinci Resolve and Premiere Pro. There are dropped frames, changes in brightness/color, glitch frames, and occasionally frames that almost look like academy leader. It's pretty messed up. Attaching images.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a camera setting or decoder plug-in I’m missing?

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.32 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.43 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.46.57 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greg_S
Contributor

Great news— Firmware v1.0.1 is now available, and fixes our problem.

I just installed the update, threw on an old lens, and grabbed an 8K clip with audio.
It plays back perfectly in Cinema RAW Development, Resolve, and Premiere.

You can find the update here, in the Software and Drivers section: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5-mark-ii

Happy shooting!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

By the way I think I was also able to open a support ticket without opening a repair demand here in Canada (so I was probably incorrect by saying we can't get help here in Canada). I might actualy have help, and will come back here with developpement if there are any.

Huge update : if I try to read the file FROM the card through the cf express card reader, my computer can ready the footage fine.

Oh wait... it was working until I imported more files in Davinci. This is getting weird.

Don’t you think it might be a codec problem or something like that after all?

etiennededuroch
Contributor

Ok guys, got on the phone with Canon staff, apparently the camera will have a corrupted metadata with certain lenses (manual and electronic, but mainly manual). The footage won't be readable in Davinci or premiere what ever the pc you have. We have to wait for an updated version of the "Cinema Raw Development" sofware to be able to transcode the files to then be able to use them. From what Canon staff told me, the copy of the footage you have on your pc is supposed to be intact (all the information necessary is there). They did told me that I could format my card once I have my backups. I won't trust that for a fact myself before I see the results of the updated "Cinema Raw Development" sofware. They do not know which other codecs might be affected by this. Apparently, the next firmware update for the camera will solve the recording error, but won't make your ex-files more usable, you will need the development software.Good luck ladies and gents, that's a rough one.

At the moment It seems I was able to find a workflow to be able to transcode the original files with Davinci. I host all the SRAW on DISK A, transfer 1 file at the time on DISK B, then import that one file in my Davinci project hosted on DISK C. I use the "generate proxy media" in Davinci (DNXHR 444). Sometimes it does crashes, but I reopen, then restart the proxy generation, and I have done 4 files with this technique (100 to go, yessir!!). Then you delete the raw file from the Davinci project, then you delete the raw file from DISK B. In other words, never host more than one raw file on DISK B, and never import more than one file in Davinci. Good luck.

does it really works?

Worked for 10 files, then stopped working and I still have 90 files to debug... 

it's actualy working again, was able to do another 10 files. if davinci crashes, just make sure to delete the .tmp file that it created before restarting.

Thank you for the update. Relieved to hear about the firmware update at least. Once support gets back to me, whether they confirm or have any new/different info, I'll post ASAP.

Announcements