cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Artifact in Image

musicmaiden
Contributor

I just got a refurbished R5 and when taking it out on the second day, I got this pink band on a couple of images. What could cause that band? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks for providing those.  Definitely strange.

In Finder (I use a Mac), the thumnail that was shown for the RAW file does show the pink area.  Same when pressing spacebar to bring up QuickLook.  The JPEG though is a-ok in Finder.

I then imported both images into Lightroom Classic (version 13.1 with Camera Raw 16.1).  Both previews were a-ok.  And bringing up each one in Develop also showed no issues.  I then exported each and both of the exported files had no issues.

Finally, I opened up both the RAW and JPEG in Photoshop.  Same outcome; no issues.

Thus, I'm going to conclude that it's the preview image that is embedded in the RAW file that is bad.   There are definitely experts with RAW images on these forums, so perhaps they'll be able to shed more light on all this.

What you could perhaps start doing is capturing RAW to both of your cards to see if perhaps one card is leading to the issues.  Beyond that, I wouldn't know what could be causing the embedded preview to be bad when the RAW appears OK otherwise, and the captured JPEG is also good.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority

Nothing strange with the raw file more than that one of the embedded JPEG files is damaged, as you already know. 1620x1080px JPEG and 160x120px JPEG are good.

Skärmbild från 2024-02-16 10-11-05.png

Extract them all with Exiftool

exiftool -a -b -W %d%f_%t%-c.%s -preview:all YourFile.CR3

Comparing the embedded JPEG with the raw file:

Full size embedded JPEGFull size embedded JPEG

Raw file with no demosaicing and no cropping of the left borderRaw file with no demosaicing and no cropping of the left border

A brighter version of the raw file with no demosaicing and no cropping of the left border. Nothing strange in the masked pixels either.A brighter version of the raw file with no demosaicing and no cropping of the left border. Nothing strange in the masked pixels either.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

musicmaiden
Contributor

R5 Pink BandR5 Pink Band

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

That looks like a bad sensor. I suggest you send it back to Canon. Do you see it in the viewfinder/back screen on live view?

musicmaiden
Contributor

yes, that is just a shot with my cheap phone camera of the LCD screen.  I was thinking of that as well.... but I discovered since this morning,  that when I look at it in Lightroom, the pink band is in the Preview pic, but when opened up it disappears.  This is the second refurb one I got, the first one went back with intermittent freezing up issues.  Do you know of a procedure to test the sensor? 

Thanks, Karin 

Are you capturing in RAW+JPEG? Just wondering if the previews in LR are built from the JPEG?  To help rule out file corruption, how do you have your files saved to cards in the R5? RAW only to the CFexpress card? both cards?

If you have a RAW and potentially a corresponding JPEG image that you could upload to a file sharing service, that would be great.

--
Ricky

musicmaiden
Contributor

thank you Ricky! Never used a file sharing service, so let me know which service/site I should go to, I will upload both images.  I typically have Raw on one card and JPEG on another  (R6) but since I just got this R5 I had not separated the images and both went on the CFExpress card. 

You could really use any.  One being DropBox.  I believe they have a free version.  You can always delete the files afterwards as needed.

--
Ricky

musicmaiden
Contributor

First time, so hopefully it lets you view it : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/v87ih3wvs1li66jv9pnin/h?rlkey=4owt4dyz325oyb9v3yxu0e3aa&dl=0

I am encouraged it may be "just" file corruption....

Thanks, Ricky!!!

Thanks for providing those.  Definitely strange.

In Finder (I use a Mac), the thumnail that was shown for the RAW file does show the pink area.  Same when pressing spacebar to bring up QuickLook.  The JPEG though is a-ok in Finder.

I then imported both images into Lightroom Classic (version 13.1 with Camera Raw 16.1).  Both previews were a-ok.  And bringing up each one in Develop also showed no issues.  I then exported each and both of the exported files had no issues.

Finally, I opened up both the RAW and JPEG in Photoshop.  Same outcome; no issues.

Thus, I'm going to conclude that it's the preview image that is embedded in the RAW file that is bad.   There are definitely experts with RAW images on these forums, so perhaps they'll be able to shed more light on all this.

What you could perhaps start doing is capturing RAW to both of your cards to see if perhaps one card is leading to the issues.  Beyond that, I wouldn't know what could be causing the embedded preview to be bad when the RAW appears OK otherwise, and the captured JPEG is also good.

--
Ricky

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

AFAIK, the preview is simply an embedded jpeg, it is possible that the camera uses the embedded JPEG to view it on the screen as opposed to decoding the RAW.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements