cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Display - number in brackets

mikul
Contributor

In the viewfinder just to the left of the battery indicator are two numbers on top of each other, e.g.

[689]

My assumption was that the top number is minutes of video available on the SD card and the bottom number is number of still photos available... except that the numbers go down as the ISO goes up which I would expect to have no impact on the capacity of the card. What are these numbers?

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello mikul, 

I have taken a screen shot from the EOS R user manual page 619, in an attempt to answer your question.  What you see should be approximated below.  

Capture.JPG

The movie recording time is represented by the number 1.  

The number of possible shots is represented by the number 3.  If the self timer is activated, it indicates the seconds until the self timer shoots.  

The number 13 above represents the number of remaining multiple exposures. 

Shooting at higher ISO's will actually increase file size, thereby reducing the amount of images the card can hold. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@mikul wrote:

In the viewfinder just to the left of the battery indicator are two numbers on top of each other, e.g.

[689]

My assumption was that the top number is minutes of video available on the SD card and the bottom number is number of still photos available... except that the numbers go down as the ISO goes up which I would expect to have no impact on the capacity of the card. What are these numbers?

The ISO setting may not affect the size of the image file in RAW mode, but I think it does if you're shooting JPEG (and probably also video).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Why would the possible number of shots (3) be impacted by ISO in RAW?

It is true, BTW. I just checked the average of 10 shots at 100 and 40,000 ISO:

100: 34.07MB

40000: 49.08MB

@mikul wrote:

Why would the possible number of shots (3) be impacted by ISO in RAW?

It is true, BTW. I just checked the average of 10 shots at 100 and 40,000 ISO:

100: 34.07MB

40000: 49.08MB

Higher ISOs mean higher noise levels, which probably translates to less compression of the image.  Is the noise [in the] image detail, or is it just noise?  [The JPEG algorithms cannot tell the difference.]

A photo of a plain wall would probably make a smaller file than an image looking down at the grass by your feet.  But, what if that wall were photographed in low light at a very high ISO, then the smooth featureless wall will suddenly have “detail” in it.  

The compression algorithms would probably see something more similar to the original shot of the grass, not the blank wall.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements