cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Mark II Horizontal Lines on Astrophotos

lolson1512
Contributor

Hello, my camera is the EOS M50 Mark II, purchased in October of 2022. Have loved the camera for taking night photos, but then the photos started turning up with these horizontal blue/purple/red lines. The picture (ignore that it's crooked) was taken with the 15-45 kit lens, but I encounter this with my 55-200 lens as well.  I've tried all aperatures, all shutter speeds, low ISO, auto ISO, and am frustrated with the outcomes. What am I missing? Thank you for any info!IMG_4487.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is exposure settings of the sample photo?  The image looks a little noisy.

You could be seeing interference from the artificial lighting.  Do these artifacts still appear when there is no potential for interference from artificial lighting?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry, forgot that part.  Lens was at 15mm so wide open, with f/5.6, 30 seconds, ISO 100

@lolson1512 wrote:

Sorry, forgot that part.  Lens was at 15mm so wide open, with f/5.6, 30 seconds, ISO 100

“ You could be seeing interference from the artificial lighting.  Do these artifacts still appear when there is no potential for interference from artificial lighting?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Do you have other recording media you can test with also?  Does this happen to some extent when you take shots during the day?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The daytime shots are fine, it is the night sky shots that come up with the lines.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Do you have a raw file to share?

Lines like this have been found in R, 5D IV, M5, 80D, M50, 1D X II when under exposed and pushed in post.

I do wonder if it's my photo editor doing this - which is level one Microsoft photo. When trying to upload the raw, this Canon forum page will not allow it, so that is why it is in jpg form for now

Use a file host.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements