cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Switch between  AI Servo and One Shot quickly by pressing one button?

AdoNetok
Enthusiast

My camera is Canon 90D. Usually I set AF Operation as AI Servo. Is this the best setting for still objects? Someone suggested switching to One Shot. How to switch between  AI Servo and One Shot quickly by pressing only one button?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that should work. You will have to hold in the DOF preview button while taking the photo.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have to quickly switch to AI Servo"

No you don't. That is not what Ai-servo is designed for. Your two bird shot are good One shot examples. Ai-servo is designed for a constant motion like a race car going in a horizontal motion across the frame. It is not for flickering feathers!.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you. I will keep on testing. Question

:

What should I use if the bird is on the branch but keeps shaking its head and tail? Still use One Shot?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless the bird is moving towards or away from you, one-shot focus is best.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Still use One Shot?"

Yes, that is not an Ai-servo situation. 90% of all photos are best with One shot.

EB

Thank all of you, I completely understood now.

amfoto1
Authority

A MUCH EASIER solution would be to use Back Button Focusing (BBF), which allows you to leave the camera in AI Servo nearly all the time. With BBF you're in full control of when the AF system operates and when it doesn't. You can start it up and acquire focus continuously, tracking an active/moving subject through the viewfinder and tripping the shutter when you want to grab a shot or take a short burst. Or, if you want to focus and recompose, use the AF On button to acquire focus where you want it, then lift off the button to stop AF, recompose and take your shot. You also can use a button on, button off, button back on technique to "dodge" obstruction that come between you and the subject while panning.

Another benefit of using AI Servo is that many modern zooms are varifocal or partly varifocal, meaning they don't maintain focus when zoomed. When you use One Shot with these, any time you change the focal length you have to consciously refocus the lens (doesn't matter whether you're using BBF or not... you still must lift off the button, then reapply it to refocus). However, if you are in AI Servo (possible thanks to BBF), the AF system will instantly and automatically correct for any loss of focus when a zoom is varifocal.

A minor drawback of using AI Servo all the time is that AF "confirmation" doesn't work in that mode. It actually makes sense, since in AI Servo the focus is continuous and never "locks", so there's nothing to "confirm" with the green LED or the "beep" (if you have it enabled). I don't know about 90D, but my 7D Mark II's display "AF" on the focus screen any time the AF is active. While that's not quite a "confirmation" that focus has been achieved, it does let me know AF is active. (As a side note: I enable the "beep" on my cameras. Since it only works in One Shot mode, this serves to remind me if I'm in that focus mode when I pick up one of my cameras and start shooting. Helps me avoid using the "wrong mode" with active, moving subjects. When I'm shooting sporting events, it's not uncommon for me to hear other people's cameras "beeping" at them... and I know that a high percentage of their shots will miss focus.)

With BBF, I hardly ever need to use One Shot. I shoot a lot of sports and some wildlife, leaving the camera in AI Servo and using BBF 99.5% or more of the time. Been doing that with my SLRs and DSLRs for at least 20 years. About the only time I switch to One Shot is when shooting a posed portrait,  a macro/close-up or landscape/architecture. I shoot those a lot less, and don't always change modes anyway, so some of my cameras probably haven't been out of AI Servo in months... maybe even years.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Thanks for giving me this knowledge. I will study it carefully and experiment with it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The samples you displayed does not require you to go to the in-depth settings as described above. It is simply not necessary. Simple full time One shot and center focus point is not only much simpler but is actually better.

If you are still wanting to use a continuous AF mode you can try eye-face detection. I don't remember if the 90D has animal eye detection or not. I suspect it does not but maybe. 

EB
Announcements