cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Autofocus servo not working via viewfinder?

bhulaten1
Apprentice

Heya I’ve tried to set focus to Auto continuous on my 90d It works with the live view but when viewing through the viewfinder mode it seems to not track/ acts like one shot still

Am I missing something? 

2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

bhul

@bhulaten1 wrote:

Heya I’ve tried to set focus to Auto continuous on my 90d It works with the live view but when viewing through the viewfinder mode it seems to not track/ acts like one shot still

Am I missing something? 

bhulaten1,

Continuous AF in Live View mode is not the same thing as AI Servo.

Continuous AF in Live View is something that you have to set up in one of your Menu settings.

AI Servo can be done in your Quick Control dial.

I personally do not like Continuous AF and have disabled it. Many peopled have found that their cameras go in and out of focus, seemingly at random, especially when shooting video.

And yes, Continuous AF is a setting only available in Live View.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Totally agree with Steve about Continuous Autofocus.  Essentially it meant the camera will autofocus randomly all the time as long as the camera is on, which is an excellent way to drain your battery.  Later models, like the R6II, have removed that feature.   

If you want to track subjects, then go to the autofocus menu if Continuous is offered, turn it off and then turn On Servo focus (also possible via the Q menu).  If you do so, I recommend moving to Back Button Focus via the AF-ON button (which is pre-configured for that).  All you have to do is take focus off the shutter button.   See this video from Canon:

Once you get used to is you will likely never move back, just give it a bit of practice.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements