cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D How to connect to external monitor

moraisluc221
Contributor

Can someone explain to me, how can I connect external monitor to Canon 7D?

18 REPLIES 18

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Mora and welcome to the forum:
If you don't have the manual for the 7D, I recommend you download it from this link:
eos7d-im2-en.pdf (c-wss.com)  For viewing images taken or display while shooting see P176-177.

The manual should always be your first port of call for reference.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes I have! I am not referring to imagine viewing or display to a tv! I am referring to external monitor for shooting! I always have to keep the camera at the eye level to see what I’m shooting! 

OK.  Perhaps if you had indicated all that rather important detail in your post along with what you were trying to achieve that might have helped me to help you, and reduce your apparent angst, which I don't deserve.

The information you want is rather obliquely displayed on P185 of the manual.  It works for shooting stills, or video, with a suitable HDMI cable.  It works during live shooting or playback mode.

However, in using this method you cannot use the viewfinder because you are using live view mode, where the mirror is flipped up to block the viewfinder - the whole point being to allow viewing for composition and setting via the external device.

Tronhard_0-1704329783229.png

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I am trying to set up my laptop as an external monitor for my 7d while shooting the eclipse in a couple of weeks, and am curious whether this approach is valid for a laptop(?)

moraisluc221,

I'm not sure I know what "imagine viewing" is, but it sounds like what you want to be able to do is use the little LCD screen on the back of your camera.

This is called Live View.

On your 7D, you engage Live View by pressing the Start/Sotp button on the back of your camera located to the right of your little screen.

Make sure the little indicator on the button is pointing straight up, pointing at the little icon of a camera.

If you do have the manual, read the section on using Live View. There's a lot you can do with it. Once you're in Live View, you can scroll through various options by pressing your INFO  button several times.

Steve Thomas

Well, given that the title is "How to connect to external monitor", I took it at face value by the conventional meaning of the phrase. 

That said, one has to use the same methodology as using the rear LCD to work off, except that for an actual external monitor the signal to the rear LCD is interrupted by the HDMI and sent to the external viewing device.
What worries me is the terse comment that the OP "I always have to keep the camera at the eye level to see what I’m shooting!"   Is that because they need to do so for some reason, or are frustrated because that's what they are doing right now and want to look at the LCD instead?  

It's all rather open to interpretation. No matter what, for shooting via the LCD there is a whole section about it on P135 of the manual, which they say they have looked at.  I think we are all confused by semantics... 🤔 🙄 and that suggests the section on nomenclature has been missed.

Tronhard_0-1704333513435.png

cheers, TREVOR

Trevor,

I personally don't use an external monitor to view what my camera is seeing, although I've seen pictures of scientists or biologists or whatever out in the field using them.

I do use an external monitor of sorts when I do remote shooting using my tablet.

Trevor, you devote a lot of time and patience trying to help new photographers develop their skills. I know you've helped me out a lot in the past, and for that, I'm grateful.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve, it's always an exercise in patience and communication - confirming what is being expressed on either side and of course technical knowledge.  I'm working on it.
I used to have both the 7D and 7DII and used them via a TV screen as a live monitor when teaching about photography, which is pretty much the same thing.  The signal, whether carrying the menu interface, a photo being shot or in view mode, or a video, all pass through the same bus to the monitor.  So, something is wrong here, we just have to be patient, check and recheck comms, and isolate the issue.
Perhaps its a bad or incorrect cable - don't know...

cheers, TREVOR

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

moraisluc221,

What kind of monitor - a TV monitor or a computer monitor?

And how do you want to use it? To display photos you've already taken, or to use it as a webcam, or to use it for remote shooting?

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements