cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T2i SD Card not saving pictures after I inserted SD card into computer

pleasehelpmefix
Apprentice

Hi my camera is not saving any pictures after I inserted the SD card to my PC. Is there any fix or should i just buy a new SD Card?

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
inserting the card into a computer should not, in itself, cause an issue.  Copying directly from the card to a computer is arguably the fastest and most efficient means to download images.

However, in the process of handling the SD card, you may inadvertently have moved the tiny switch on the side of the card, called a write-protect switch into protect mode, in which case it will not allow images to be written to it.

Tronhard_1-1720148912248.jpeg

The other thing that could cause issues is using a micro-SD card with an adapter - they do not work well with cameras.  Finally, always use reputable brands like Sandisk or Lexar from good dealers - avoid cheap web deals - there are lots of fakes out there.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start with my colleague Trevor's reply. 

I have one other suggestion.  Once you have copied all your images from the card, please format the card in camera and take some test shots.  Can you confirm the images are now saving to your card?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I learned to download from the card directly to the laptop. Much faster. Also, I scan the downloaded photos to make sure everything is in the computer. I put the card back in the camera to delete the photos. Don't use or trust the "auto delete after downloading" feature.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Actually better to format the card in the camera after downloading from the card to the computer rather than using a delete function.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are your images visible to preview on the LCD when the card is installed in the camera?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If the issue is when you actually put the card into your computer, when you do so, the card should be displayed via your computer's file manager as a removable drive.  At that point the files in the drive are accessed via a folder in that drive call DCIM and should appear as a  list of image documents with either a JPG or RAW extension.  They will not necessarily just auto-display on your compute screen.  To view them you need to open them like you would any document.

Note that if the files have a RAW extension, your computer may not be able to show them via the file manager as this file format requires a specific file codec that you can download - without knowing the type of computer and operating system I can't give you any more details.

When using the camera, it is a good idea to select to save files in both RAW and high-quality JPG formats - this is done via a menu option.   

Tronhard_0-1720219839879.png reference User manual: eosrt2i-eos550d-im3-c-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

You can read the JPG files on pretty much any computer, but you may need a program for post production, to read the RAW files, and you can store those for future use when you develop your skills. Just know you have free access to a program called Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that is free with your camera. If you refer to your documentation, you should find the information to download it, or alternatively look look up the Canon support page for your camera and check out the software list for it.  Canon Support for EOS Rebel T2i | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

cheers, TREVOR

pleasehelpmefix
Apprentice

hi guys sorry for not responding I've been busy this week but I've formatted my card and I've just bought a new SD Card and I just formatted that new SD card and even still images aren't being shown on my screen. (sorry this is my first ever camera)

So, can you please confirm the following so we can eliminate a bunch of possibilities:

What size SD cards are you using - full size or micro SD with adapter?
When you formatted the card, did you do that in a computer or in camera? 
You had no problem seeing the menu system to do so on the camera and no error messages?
When you say "not showing on my screen"  is this the LCD at the back of the camera, or on a computer into which you have inserted the SD card?

cheers, TREVOR

I hope some of this might help.

If the card works in the camera and not in the computer, the problem could be the card reader on the computer or the software on the computer.

If the card works in the computer and not in the camera, then the card should be formatted in the camera (this will delete everything on the card). If the card will not format in the camera and the card is not write protected, then the problem is likely the camera or it is the wrong card for the camera.

If the card was formatted in the computer, it might need to be formatted in the camera because the camera might use a different filesystem than the computer created when formatting the card.

More details about the card and the software you are using might help you to get advice.

Announcements