cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r6 mark II card slot problem "Card cannot be accessed"

Princejvstin
Apprentice

I really can't figure this one out, so maybe someone has some ideas.

About a year and change ago, I  went from a Canon 5D Mark IV to a canon R6 mark II. Things went fine at first, but then I recently noticed I am having a bunch of SD card problems. I was getting the "card cannot be accessed" error

But its' frustratingly weird how the error happens:

It only happens in slot 1.

It only happens on cards larger than 64 GB. My 64 GB cards work just fine. I have a couple of different kinds of 128 GB cards in terms of manufacturers and they all act the same way. Any card larger than 64GB doesn't work in slot 1.

So if I take a 128 GB card and put it in slot 1, it gives me the error. I put that same card in slot 2, and it seems to work fine.

If I put one of my 64GB cards into slot 1 it seems to work fine.

I've tried formatting the cards, regular and low level format, to no avail. I've tried formatting the cards on a computer. No luck there.

And it is just slot 1. Slot 2, the 128GB cards work normal. Slot 1, "card cannot be accessed". But 64 GB cards work in slot 1, no issues. (and of course Slot 2, the 64GB cards work normal)

I even toggled the write protection switch on the cards back and forth. No dice.

It's as if my R6 Mark II can't "handle" a 128GB card in Slot 1. But Slot 1 can handle 64 GB cards. And the 128 GB card works in Slot 2.

I downloaded the latest firmware in hopes that would help. No dice.

Ideas?

11 REPLIES 11

Stephen

Hey there!

I'm not a tech, but I want to help ensure you get the best answer to your question!

1. You mentioned upgrading your gear. Are you having problems with only older cards, or are brand-new, high-quality, high-speed cards also giving you errors? 
  2. Are your cards full-sized, or do you use micro-SD cards inside adapters? If you're using adapters, are you using the adapter that came with your card? (I've found that some older adapters were made for the older speeds and can't handle the high-capacity)
  3. So that we're all on the same page, would it be possible for you to post images of the cards you're using? 🙏🏼

If you can think of anything else that might be useful, please share, so the Community can help! 

Hi Stephen. 

These are full sized SD cards. There are both type I and type II SDXC cards which are in the 128 GB set that aren't working.  A picture of a 64 GB card that works without issue and the 128 GB problem children are here: 

PXL_20240630_151739342.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"I've tried formatting the cards, regular and low level format, to no avail. I've tried formatting the cards on a computer. No luck there."

1. so formatting cards in Slot 2 works properly, but then putting the cards in Slot 1 they generate the error?

2. by "no avail" you mean that you can format the cards in your computer but Slot 1 generates the error?

You have Type I and Type II cards. Both slots are Type II compatible, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Can you shine a light into Slot 1 and see if anything looks amiss? Do you have a Rocket Blower that you can use to blow out the slot?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

1. Correct. And the cards work in slot 2 just fine (just verified today in fact). But when I put the 128 GB card in slot 1, the camera can't handle it. 
2. Yes, No matter where I format the card, slot 1 can't handle the 128 GB cards, only 64 GB
3. Tried the blower, nothing came out. I don't see anything wrong when I look in with a light.

Very strange. I don’t recall anything like this previously posted on the forum. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Are you referring to my comment about AI? It's because AI is becoming increasingly prevalent. The post I modified was copied/pasted from ChatGPT. While I find much value in utilizing AI as a starting point to help find information, it is imperfect. We need experts like you to help with real-world scenarios. AI can't do that, so it's important to alert other members of the Community that #1, you aren't speaking from your learned experiences, and #2, the information you're presenting isn't your original content. 

Hi Stephen. No, I was replying to princejvstin ( the OP). Never saw his problem before. 
I have noticed a number of posts that appear to be AI. As you say, they tend to be generic and lack specific details of the problem. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

When you suspect something is AI, please report it so we can moderate accordingly. 😊 

megnani
Apprentice

The following content was generated by AI. It may contain errors or inaccuracies, and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional support.

If you're encountering a "Card cannot be accessed" issue with your Canon R6 Mark II camera, here are some steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. **Check the Card**: Ensure that the SD card or CFexpress card is inserted correctly into the camera slot. Sometimes, improper insertion can cause connection issues.

2. **Restart the Camera**: Turn off your camera and then turn it back on to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor glitches.

3. **Format the Card**: If the card is not recognized, try formatting it using the camera's format option. Formatting can sometimes resolve file system errors.

4. **Try a Different Card**: Test the camera with a different SD card or CFexpress card to determine if the issue lies with the card itself.

5. **Update Firmware**: Ensure that your camera's firmware is up to date. Manufacturers often release updates to fix bugs and improve compatibility.

6. **Clean the Card and Slot**: Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the metal contacts on both the card and the camera's card slot. Dust or debris on these contacts can sometimes cause connectivity issues.

7. **Check for Physical Damage**: Inspect the card and the camera's card slot for any physical damage or debris that might be obstructing proper contact.

8. **Reset Camera Settings**: As a last resort, you can try resetting the camera settings to their factory defaults. This can sometimes resolve software-related issues.

If none of these steps resolve the problem, it may indicate a more serious hardware issue with either the camera or the card itself. In such cases, contacting Canon support or visiting a certified service center for further assistance would be advisable.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements