cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Warning Icon on Viewfinder Screen

Rizzo
Apprentice

I have a Canon 6D. I noticed that on the bottom left of the viewfinder screen there is a warning icon ("!") next to a battery icon. Am I correct in assuming that this is simply a reminder to keep an eye on the battery charge periodically?

Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rizzo,

The exclamation point warning icon  (!) can appear for a number of reasons.They could include:

• If monochrome is set
  • If the White Balance Correction is set
  • If Multi-shot noise reduction is set

Check your manual and see what it says about warning icons.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rizzo,

The exclamation point warning icon  (!) can appear for a number of reasons.They could include:

• If monochrome is set
  • If the White Balance Correction is set
  • If Multi-shot noise reduction is set

Check your manual and see what it says about warning icons.

Steve Thomas

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Rizzo wrote:

I have a Canon 6D. I noticed that on the bottom left of the viewfinder screen there is a warning icon ("!") next to a battery icon. Am I correct in assuming that this is simply a reminder to keep an eye on the battery charge periodically?

Thank you so much.

As Steve says it could mean a number of different things. It is selected in the one of the red Shooting menus (or can be disabled).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Rizzo
Apprentice

Thank you so much!

Rizzo
Apprentice

As a follow-up question...if White Balance Correction is set as a custom function, what exactly does that do?

Rizzo,

If you want to emphasize the cooler temperatures of blues and yellows in your photo, you would choose a Preset White Balance of Daylight, or a lower Kelvin temperature in the 5200K range. This is good for early morning when the air is crisp and clean, and the sky is a deep blue.

If you want to emphasize the warmer colors like your reds or greens, you would choose a Preset like the Cloudy White Balance in your camera, or a Kelvin setting in the 6000K+ range. This is good for sunsets, or if you are in a Cloudy condition, and you want to bring out the warmer skin tones of a person's face.

The White Balance Correction setting allows you to skew or fine tune those settings to more green, or more magenta, or more blue, etc. It's a fine-tuning kind of process.

I personally do most of my shooting at 5300K, while adjusting at various times for Cloudy conditions, or I'm indoors shooting under tungsten lighting.

You try to adjust your White Balance for the lighting conditions you are in.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Under varying light conditions, when you take a picture of a white object or background, the white portion can appear cooler (blue) or warmer (red) depending on lighting and settings. In order for colors to be rendered accurately, the camera needs to know what is true white.  If the camera does not interpret white balance correctly, the other colors in your photo my appear duller or more vibrant.  Custom white balance allows you to correct this by telling the camera "this is truly white".

The below article from Canon Europe may be helpful.   

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/infobank/white-balance/#:~:text=White%20balance%20bracketing&text=T....

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements