cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Focus stacking gets stuck near bottom of image

Happytraveler
Apprentice

I have been using a Canon 6D tethered to a laptop for focus stacking successfully for years. This setup allows me to see the change in focus as I take a series of images focusing from the top of the object to the bottom. Now the focus appears to get stuck about ¾ from the bottom of the object. When this problem occurs, I’ll take an image, focus one step lower, take an image, and the image I see on the laptop screen reverts to the previous image. I’m unable to focus beyond a certain level in the object, even though the camera is not at the end of its ability to focus (I tested this by manually adjusting the focus on the camera). Any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Happytraveler,

To trouble shoot this issue we would need a little bit more information. What lens are you using to do the focus stacking? Is this issue happening with every lens you have attached to the camera? How close are you to the subject? Is this issue happening when the lens is in manual focus mode?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using a stacking software?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Happytraveler
Apprentice

The problem occurs when I use different lenses, which are the Macro EF 100 1:2.8 USM and 24-70mm Ultrasonic. I use Canon software to take the images with the camera tethered to a laptop.

@Happytraveler wrote:

The problem occurs when I use different lenses, which are the Macro EF 100 1:2.8 USM and 24-70mm Ultrasonic. I use Canon software to take the images with the camera tethered to a laptop.

I own a 6D and the same lenses.  I would like to try to reproduce your issue.

What is the name of the Canon software application you are using?  I am using a Dell gaming laptop running Windows 10.  It includes an NVDIA video card.  What are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Happytraveler
Apprentice

I use Canon EOS Utilities for remote shooting (last updated in 2022) in which the camera is tethered to a laptop. The lenses I use are a Canon Macro EF 100 1:2.8 USM and Canon 24-70mm Ultrasonic, and the problem occurs when I use either of them. I have done some testing, and the problem only occurs when I take (shoot) images. Both lenses focus properly when I shoot manually or with the lens set on autofocus and I focus from top to bottom of the object without taking a shot. The problem occurs when I take images remotely with the lens set on autofocus. To remotely take a series of images focusing from top to bottom of an object using autofocus, I enlarge the image I see via EOS Utilities on the laptop to x5, adjust the focus (by clicking once on the appropriate focus arrow), and take the shot. The image on the laptop then jumps out of x5 and when I enlarge the image back to x5 to focus for the next shot in the series, the focus is the same as before I made the previous adjustment. I can typically take several shots before this problem occurs.

You cannot set an autofocus location using a magnified view.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements