cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 600D - Won't Focus, Black Edges

NinjaNultrix
Contributor

Hello there, I have a Canon EOS 600D and I've been having issues with normal focus. It is completely out of focus, even if I try to adjust it manually and at normal zoom, on the frame are black edges around the corners. I don't understand what's causing this, I've tried thoroughly cleaning it and everything but nothing seems to fix it. However, if I use a wideangle lens on top of the standard lens, the focus is greatly improved to how I supposed it normally should be but again at normal zoom, the black edges are ruining the image. 

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get any help! Thank you! 😄 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Whatever that piece of junk is on the front of the lens, remove it.  It may have damaged your lens.  If it did Canon will not warranty the lens.

I would return the whole outfit tomorrow.  Then go to B&H or Adorama and buy the real deal.  Never buy those cheap packages.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

What you're seeing is called "vignetting" (Google it), and it's probably being caused by the screw-on adapters you're using on your lenses. Don't ever go back to the camera store that sold them to you (except to demand your money back, but that's undoubtedly a hopeless quest).

What actual lens(es) are you using?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ahhhh, well I'm just using the standard lens that come with the camera and a wide angle lens on top. I've realised that when I remove the wide angle lens to put on the telephoto lens (not sure if I spelt that right), it wouldn't fit at all when I managed to fit it when I first got the camera.

I'm really lost at the moment 

OK, what we need to know is what equipment you actually have?  Can you provide a photo?  Or, can you show us the package, a link, you bought.  The more accurate this info is the better we can help you on what is going wrong.

Except for a protector filter or a lens hood, you should not be adding or screwing anything on the front of your lens. Nothing!

The T3i is capable of great pictures as is with just the Canon (brand) lens.

A sample picture would also be great. Can you u/l one here?

EB

IMG_0696[1].JPG 

Here is the intense blur and the vignette that occurs when I take pictures (the vignette thing changes as I adjust focus but the blurriness always remains the same) 

P.S. this image is with the Wide Angle Lens off, so just the 18-55mm lens 

Here is the bundle I managed to purchase it as http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1380C5/view

EDIT - I didn't screw anything on the lens, just put on and tightened in place

OK, I am sorry to say this but the only items you got that are worthy is the T3i and the EF-S 18-55mm lens.

Never use any of the add-on lens thingys.  

Next go to a good retail store and buy a high quality SD card like a Snadisk or Lexar.  Fromat it in the T3i only, never a in computer.  The SD card is probably junk.  Hopefully that is what is the problem.

EB

I have a Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s 32gb SD card, formatted it from the camera but nothing, still the same thing 😞

EDIT - at an extreme close up, the quality improves - not sure if that can help at all 

And you bought it, brand new, for a good store?  If not you will need to buy one from such a store.  OK, if that is so than let's try this.   Clear all settings in the camera's menu.  Format the SD card. Go outside on a normal daylighted day. Set the camera to the green square.  Put the AF/MF switch on the lens to AF.  Do not have a single thing screwed on to the front of the lens. Nothing.

Now take some random shots.  Everything OK?

EB

Yes. Brand new. I followed your steps to the letter, but the same results are produced. Even the auto focus is unable to properly focus all of the blur. In all honesty, I don't even mind the vignette, just the blur that's the biggest issue

If you have done as I suggested, the camera needs service.  Is it returnable?  One reason the use the best retail stores like BH or Adorama, Best Buy, etc is you have a good return policy.

If you can not return it, call Canon Service today.

EB
Announcements