cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III/3 Blinking Green Light

gary6557
Apprentice

I live on the coast about 40 miles south of Cape Canaveral.  When Falcon rockets head due south I can photograph them from my balcony except at night.  Tripod mounted, MF, focus set on horizon etc etc,  but when I  press shutter it will not take a picture and there is a flashing green light in the lower right corner of view finder.  Scoured pages, internet etc, missed plenty of great shots and just need some guidance or direction.  Thankyou.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That blinking indicator means autofocus is operating and can’t achieve focus. Are you using a Canon brand lens? What exposure mode are you using? Does camera indicate correct exposure? If you aren’t in M mode camera won’t fire if correct exposure can’t be achieved. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

gary6557
Apprentice

Canon 24-70 lens set to MF and camera is in manual mode.  Exposure is set to F8, ISO160

I just tested with my 1D X.

With lens in MF mode I manually focus - green dot is off until I get focus and then it turns on.

In AF mode it blinks green until it focuses and then it turns solid.

Sorry, but I can't help.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

gary6557,

Try putting your camera in Servo mode. See if that makes a difference.

Also, do you experience this across all lenses, or just this one?

Steve Thomas

Shooting at night along the coast in pitch darkness except for distant light outside of focus points.  This is so I can get a good 3 minute exposure through the view finder from one side to the other.  Thought that if I pre focused during light in Manual mode and MF on lens that that would be sufficient, apparently not.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have any Custom Settings or Functions set? Maybe reset camera. What you did is exactly how I take my astrophotography shots - Milky Way and star trails. I focus on a distant point, set the lens to MF and gaffer tape the focus ring so it doesn’t change. M mode with my desires Tv and Av. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements