cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D: Image capture "QUALITY" settings

jbnunzio
Apprentice

I have two Canon 5D's. I use Windows 10 on my desk top PC

Recently, while on vacation with a friend, we went out to photograph scenery on the Oregon coast, which included a lighthouse. I set the QUALITY in the menu function to capture in RAW+Ljpeg. Then I went into PICTURE STYLE to set monochrome with the red filter. When I off-loaded the flash card to the computer, I found that the jpegs were all in b&w, and the RAW files were all in color. Isn't it possible to capture RAW files in B&W? Or is the whole point to use Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., to convert the RAW color files to B&W on an as-needed basis? Of course, I'd want to make use of the (information on) larger files of the RAW captures; but the jpeg files are much smaller than the RAW, and they are not much adjustable.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

By nature, Raw will retain all of the data collected, so yes, it is up to you to apply a picture style in your post editor for the Raw files. If you use Canons free Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4), it will apply your picture style to the Raw automatically but keep your Raw data intact. You can change styles at will, so you can have both color and B&W if you so choose. Also, keep in mind that the JPeG files have been converted from Raw to that format using your style settings, amongst other various camera settings.

It's been a while since I messed with Adobe products, but I think you can do the same with LR, but it may not select your picture style automatically.

Newton

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@jbnunzio wrote:

Recently, while on vacation with a friend, we went out to photograph scenery on the Oregon coast, which included a lighthouse. I set the QUALITY in the menu function to capture in RAW+Ljpeg. Then I went into PICTURE STYLE to set monochrome with the red filter. When I off-loaded the flash card to the computer, I found that the jpegs were all in b&w, and the RAW files were all in color. Isn't it possible to capture RAW files in B&W? Or is the whole point to use Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., to convert the RAW color files to B&W on an as-needed basis? Of course, I'd want to make use of the (information on) larger files of the RAW captures; but the jpeg files are much smaller than the RAW, and they are not much adjustable.

If you shoot RAW you can select any Picture Style (or Profile, as they are called in Lightroom and Photoshop). Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop are non-destructive; you can select Monochrome, work on your image, export or print it and then choose another profile and work on it again. You can save the first effort be creating a Virtual Copy before starting the second edit.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 204759.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

By nature, Raw will retain all of the data collected, so yes, it is up to you to apply a picture style in your post editor for the Raw files. If you use Canons free Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4), it will apply your picture style to the Raw automatically but keep your Raw data intact. You can change styles at will, so you can have both color and B&W if you so choose. Also, keep in mind that the JPeG files have been converted from Raw to that format using your style settings, amongst other various camera settings.

It's been a while since I messed with Adobe products, but I think you can do the same with LR, but it may not select your picture style automatically.

Newton

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I just broke out my 5D IV and took a quick test shot using the monochrome picture style in the 5D IV, just to make sure.

Here is a screen shot of the Raw in DPP 4

DPP 4 Mono-1.jpg

From there you can edit either B&W or color, then "convert and save" to jpg or tif.

Newton

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@jbnunzio wrote:

If you shoot RAW you can select any Picture Style (or Profile, as they are called in Lightroom and Photoshop). Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop are non-destructive; you can select Monochrome, work on your image, export or print it and then choose another profile and work on it again. You can save the first effort be creating a Virtual Copy before starting the second edit.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 204759.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements