cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1Ds Mark III Trouble connecting to laptop via WFT-E2A wireless transmitter

Steve_B
Apprentice

The body mentioned is mint, very few frames and I decided to get an also mint wireless transmitter to go with it so I can shoot the birds in my garden without scaring them. First time I set it up, it all worked, no issues at all. But second and this third attempt it doesn't. I got as far as typing in the camera IP address into the browser bar, inputted the name and P/W and up came the virtual camera and release...press and nothing, 'Could not capture image' message. Turned it off tried again and this time I can't even get the virtual camera in the window. I have checked and rechecked settings to get the network to connect to the camera but seems the camera won't talk to the laptop. I know I'm probably doing something obviously wrong to someone, but ideas are welcome. 

6 REPLIES 6

garymak
Enthusiast

My first piece of advice is usually: "Call Canon Technical Service Support ‭(800) 652-2666‬".  It's free and they can answer questions and trouble-shoot, which is what this kind of problem will no doubt entail.

On another related note, along the lines of personal commentary, Canon's wireless and bluetooth functions are very quirky, flaky, and unreliable (and any other "frustrating" - related adjective you wish to use such as "POS.")  I'll emphasize "unreliable."  And their interface with their CanonConnect app is awful.  I don't have a EOS-1Ds Mark III, so I cannot speak directly to it, but having other Canon cameras (5D MKIII and R5 and G1-X III) and all of them have had trouble connecting via wifi and bluetooth, so, I conclude that if that many cameras have the same issue, then it's not the individual camera, but Canon's basic technology.  In fact, I've never been able to connect via wi-fi, and only the G1-X III connected via bluetooth consistently - until the last update of "Canon Connect" when it stopped connecting altogether! (Great update, huh?!)   I give up.  Not worth my time or effort at this point.  

Further to that point, I actually had the tech support guy on the phone for over an hour trying to connect my R5 via wifi or bluetooth, and he concluded that my "bluetooth function was not working on the R5" so I sent it in for repairs (I have a CPS membership) and after a week, they concluded that "everything was in working order and there had been nothing wrong with the R5 to begin with."  Skipping the back and forth "he said/she said", I got the camera back and never was able to connect it.  I just gave up.  Not worth the frustration and blood pressure points!

Now, you piqued my interest with your comment on "birds." I also photograph birds (particularly hummingbirds) in my backyard.  (Focus is another, separate issue, if you want to capture them in flight versus just sitting on the feeder.) Anyway, given the aforementioned issues with your wireless remote trigger, I will offer this solution for your consideration:

1) TC-80N3 Timer/Remote Controller ("Intervalometer") it's around $170 https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/timer-remote-controller-tc-80n3?color=Black&type=New

2) ET-1000N3 10m extension cord.  This is hard to find, and you can't even find it on Canon's website doing a search (not surprising) so just do a Google search instead. It's around $100.

Hard-wired, it NEVER fails, ALWAYS works.

With the 10m /30ft extension, it gives you 33 feet between you and your potential bird subjects.  (You could even set it up as an intervalometer and see if you can "get lucky" without even having to watch!) For myself, I can see the bird feeder from my kitchen, and often set my camera up right near the feeder, pre-focus on a spot (and hope for luck on that score,) and sit in the kitchen with the remote and wait... clicking as soon as the hummingbirds come within range.  

In terms of ease of set up and reliability, you can't beat the TC-80N3 Remote with an extension cord.

Steve_B
Apprentice

Thank's Gary for the reply and advice. I wasn't aware (until you mentioned it) that wireless comms with Canon gear is less than ideal. We too get hummingbirds, we also get finches, migratory Waxwings, White crown sparrows. I could hard wire the transmitter via a mile long (well maybe not that long!) ethernet or USB cable, so might be a way to go, but it goes without saying I specifically got the transmitter to avoid that. Just frustrating to be wise after the event. Glad I got it used rather than new, they were a 1000 bucks apparently! This is what I took hand held through the kitchen window. Hummer lemon tree 3.JPG

garymak
Enthusiast

Further to wireless transmitters... While I am not at all a fan of - and absolutely never recommend - cheap Chinese-made products to use on very expensive camera equipment, particularly anything that screws/clips/snaps/fits into anything on my gear (Chinese product tolerances are terrible), I did buy to try a wireless set just to see if it worked, as the worst that could happen was it wouldn't work (as opposed to "getting stuck" or breaking something.). 

I have used a "Pixel Oppilas" wireless trigger with some success.  There is a receiver unit that attaches to your hot shoe (only for securing the unit; it actually doesn't have to go in you hot shoe) that you then plug into your camera's N3-type socket.  (That's the actual connection, so if you were also using, say, a flash, that needed to be in a hot shoe, you could just leave the unit dangling from the N3 socket as it's very lightweight.) It takes 2 AAA batteries.  Then of course there's the remote trigger unit, also takes 2 AAA batteries.  The range is supposedly 100m, which at that point, you'll also need a pair of binoculars yourself to see if the subject is near!🤣   Best part- it's like $40!  So, nothing to lose investment-wise if it doesn't meet your needs.  (If it doesn't work, Amazon has a great return policy and get a replacement unit.)  Another big bonus: NO SOFTWARE REQUIRED! And an even bigger bonus: No CANON software required!  Anyway, here's the link (hopefully it will allow me to include a hyperlink.)

https://www.amazon.com/Oppilas-Wireless-Fujifilm-Hassleblad-Replaces/dp/B07S9LB4SN/ref=asc_df_B07S9L...

BTW, speaking of hummingbirds, here's a sample from just yesterday, with the aforementioned TC-80N3 Remote with an extension cord set up...Rufous HummingbirdRufous HummingbirdAnna's HummingbirdAnna's HummingbirdRufous HummingbirdRufous Hummingbird

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The WFT devices are primarily designed for Wireless File Transfer. They can link with EOSU, but as you have found it can be tricky.

If all you want is remote shutter operation there are simpler devices. I have used this one sucessfully.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 200811.jpg

 I'm not sure the benefits of this one (which operates on 2.4G Wi-Fi band) and the one garymak reported on, but many of the Amazon reviews for his product are in non-English and the product description states RF (radio frequency). May have to do with use of Wi-Fi in certain countries. But if it works here it is a few dollars less expensive. $30 vs $40 for a single cable model.)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Steve_B
Apprentice

Thank you John, but will this upload in real time to the laptop? That was the reason I got the WFT E2A so I can see the image on the desktop without needing to take the card out. I might just need to persevere and see if I can overcome any reluctance it has to work every time I need it to. I'm a stubborn old guy and hate wasting money. 

Neither of those devices will transfer images. If that is what you want then something like the WFT is what you need. There is a third party product called CamRanger. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements