cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a faster sd card for better video bitrate? - EOS 800D

Curse
Apprentice

I own a canon 800d and I know it shoots 8 bit video and i've seen other people get pretty good results with it but as i like to color grade a lot and dig deep into my video's capabilities I feel like i'm not getting the most out of my camera. I use a 64gb v30 150mb/s sd card and I'm having concerns over getting a faster one or not. Should I and if yes what speed should i opt for to get the most out of the camera? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

As kvbarkley mentioned, you'll be a-ok with the current card.  Your 800D can only use UHS-I cards which max out with 30 MB/s sustained writes (indicated by the V30 rating).

Having said that, using cards with a higher read speed (yours being a theoretical max of 150 MB/s), you can potentially lower the time to copy footage to your computer.  However, this is only if the SD card itself is currently the slowest link in the chain.  The card's reader, cables, and speed of the destination disk will ultimately determine how fast a copy can be.  For example, if your destination hard drives can only write 125 MB/s, it wouldn't be worth moving to SD cards with faster reads.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Here is what the manual recommends:

Untitled.jpg

If your movie is "recording properly", you are probably OK. The camera will not change the quality to accommodate a low card, it will just mess up.

rs-eos
Elite

As kvbarkley mentioned, you'll be a-ok with the current card.  Your 800D can only use UHS-I cards which max out with 30 MB/s sustained writes (indicated by the V30 rating).

Having said that, using cards with a higher read speed (yours being a theoretical max of 150 MB/s), you can potentially lower the time to copy footage to your computer.  However, this is only if the SD card itself is currently the slowest link in the chain.  The card's reader, cables, and speed of the destination disk will ultimately determine how fast a copy can be.  For example, if your destination hard drives can only write 125 MB/s, it wouldn't be worth moving to SD cards with faster reads.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you so much! I'm so happy to finally have that down!

Announcements