cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between old and new R5 for wildlife and using an adapter

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

My questions are these, how much more and why would the R5 Mark ii work better for wildlife photography than the original version?

Second question, I can manage to get the R5 Mark ii but would not be able to afford an RF lens for now,  I am looking to get the Canon 2972C002 lens adapter so I can use the EF lenses I have (Mainly the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens will be used for wildlife and moons shots) Are there any problems I need to know of when using this adapter? I already use one to use my EF lenses on my Canon M50 that is an EF-M mount but everything is different so I thought I should ask.

Looking forward to the difference in image quality,

26 REPLIES 26

No manual will be accurate until Canon confirm the content and thus performance of the firmware, which, as far as I understand was still not in its final production phase at time of the release announcement.  Nothing official will be published by Canon until that, at least is sorted.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, while I respect your thoughts and feedback on the firmware this is speculation. The fact is both the HTML and PDF versions have been published by a division of Canon, I would venture to say that is official. It would be difficult to believe that this would be done without the content being accurate and final.

I have blacked out the URL based on Stephen's feedback on site policy.

manual.jpg

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

The main thing is that it comes from an official Canon site and is still there.  If it has been posted and withdrawn that would be a different issue - it would suggest that someone jumped the gun and Canon don't want the info in the public arena because either they are not sure of some technical issue, or it has not been signed off by an authority - and there is history of that pre-emptively happening before to several camera vendors.

It's a moving feast and I would not be surprised if they had hopes of having that firmware for the release a week ago when it drew comment from some reviewers - let's face it, they want to get that stuff on the market as soon as possible, so these things can move very rapidly. 

That's not problem from my perspective, and it falls in line with my assertion that Canon would release official documentation about their products when they are confident of their firmware. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Both versions, html and PDF continue to be available.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

I did not, but I thank you for trying.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

To look at your question specifically, noting that at this stage no-one that I know has a full production model yet.
The R5II two has features that may benefit a wildlife photographer through its bus: It has a stacked/BSI sensor that is going to grab focus extremely quickly, provide enhanced tracking and reduce rolling shutter effect to support faster shutter speeds and frame rates under more challenging light conditions with better dynamic range.

The processor is faster and has a significant boost from the extra attached processor, the buffer is likely larger and there is the capacity to send RAW image to the CF Express card.  Assuming this is all in balance (i.e. no bottlenecks in data flow) it means that one can gain focus, shoot with more accuracy and rip off a lot of high-resolution images with a much higher success rate than before.  Wonderful, as long as you are prepared to spend hours sifting through a huge number of almost identical images in PP...  

I would be curious to see if the ability to prioritize a series of individuals, which is touted for human social events, such as weddings, would be made to work to isolate, say, a predatory animal group or individual hunting in a herd situation such as a pride of lions or even an orca pod.  That would be interesting...

The question is whether the demands of the specific types of photography one is engaged upon are such that the R5II presents enough real and specific benefits to make it a valid value proposition, or could one get more value by getting the R5 and spending the money on an RF optic, such as the RF 200-800?

Finally, considering some discussion has been made of the relative merits of the R1 in this context, I submit my updated article The Argument for Two Flagships.docx for consideration.

As to lenses: I would expect that, as long as you use the Canon EF-RF adapters , you should have no issue with using your excellent EF 100-400LII with any of the R-series of cameras.  I have already posted sample images of that lens with the EOS R6, which has the same tracking system as the R5:
Legacy Lenses with the EOS R6 MkI: EF 100-400L MkI... - Canon Community

cheers, TREVOR

"I would be curious to see if the ability to prioritize a series of individuals, which is touted for human social events, such as weddings, would be made to work to isolate, say, a predatory animal group or individual hunting in a herd situation such as a pride of lions or even an orca pod.  That would be interesting..."

This is a huge question I have as well, I photograph wild turkey quite a bit and sometimes there is that one Tom that really stands out even if there are others and it would be nice to be able to lock onto him. My M50 has had a lot of problems holding focus on eyes and I end up with shots that are clearly hitting the body mass instead of the face. I think I have what I am about to say right, my have the wrong model number but I think either the R6 or R8 had a tracking feature that helped quite a bit with that but the R5 did not have it or perhaps it was in a download you could do later with the R5?

I wish there was a camera shop in my area, nothing like that for hours though. I will check out your other linked articles shortly, thank you.

The M-series is a long way behind the R-series MICLs in terms of sensor technology, but especially in focus and tracking.  I still retain 2xM5's and 3 EF-M lenses but really for wildlife I would never use the M-series now.

The R5 has an excellent focus and tracking capability, but it should have the latest firmware loaded - there have been multiple updates and improvements since it came out.  It shared that focus/tracking system and improvements with the original R6.  The R6II has the newest sensor and focus/tracking technology and it quite simply epic in its performance.

cheers, TREVOR

"firmware" That word simply would not come to my brain so I worded it the way I did hoping you would know what I meant. My friend keeps telling me the 50's are the youth of old age but man I am not sure I can deal with more memory loss. lol Right now the M50 is all I have. I got this image this Spring with it.

I feel your pain! 🙂

FWIW, there are two broad different kinds of components: Hardware - anything you can touch, and Software - which is basically some kind of code.   
Within the Software there are three different types:
Firmware allows different hardware devices to work with each other and control the behaviour of the devices.  Operating systems administer the computer and form an interface between humans and the firmware - they don't create documents of any kind, but they manage things like the desktop and the file management system and web browsers which acts as an extension to the Internet - think of them like the government.
Applications are specialized in creating different forms of data - so Office, Adobe, and Skype are examples.   I hope that helps a bit!

So, in terms of camera functions, firmware will control things that control devices like sensors, exposure, memory, buffering and interface with cards, in cameras they may deliver updates to the user interface, such as additions and changes to the menus, or control of buttons and dials. 
They have a huge impact on the hardware side of the camera's operation, and can be updated to fix bugs in their own programs, and has the potential to improve the capability of hardware through re-jigging of how hardware is used or interacts within the camera.  Such examples in the R5 include managing heating issues, improvements to focusing and additions to the focusing menu options.

A good example of this is Voyager One, the deep space probe that has left the solar system, which then had a memory loss and was sending garbage on system status and reports to Earth.  It took engineers some time to figure out the issue and isolate to a specific bank of memory on the main computer.  As the probe could receive instructions OK, they reprogrammed the firmware to redirect it to use other memory addresses and transmitted that to the computer, triggering the update. The firmware update worked, resolving the issue.  Communications were re-established and normal activity was restored - all billions of km away.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements